Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Development in CDP with API vs. UI

Level 1

I'm curious how many large (or any) enterprises engineer solutions in their CDP using APIs (developer projects), vs. limiting to configure within the user interface.    Since the CDP is an API-first platform, it stands to reason that engineering should be done primarily from a developer console/enterprise pipeline (github) style solution delivery framework.      So, I am assuming that most organizations should be using API generated solutions versus a small number of enterprises who might stick to configuring within the UI.  Any thoughts or research articles out there that anyone would recommend?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This depends on the type of deployment which is being performed.  With the Adobe RTCDP platform all interactions performed in the UI do have a corresponding API call which can be executed.  

Before the introduction of packages there really was not a clean way to perform an SDL deployment of Adobe RTCDP objects (schema, dataSets, audiences) from sandbox A into sandbox B.

The effort to build out the object in a lower environment via an API the deployment process to an upper environment should be done via automation script (git, jenkins..etc).

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 2

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the extent to which enterprises use APIs vs. UIs in their CDP development will depend on a wide range of factors, including the specific needs and requirements of each organization.

That being said, it is true that CDPs are designed to be API-first platforms, meaning that they are built with a strong emphasis on API access and integration. This makes it easier for developers to build custom solutions and integrations that leverage the full capabilities of the CDP.

However, it's also important to note that UI-based configuration can still be a valuable tool for some organizations, especially those with less technical expertise or those that need to make quick and simple adjustments to their CDP setup.

Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the unique needs and capabilities of each organization. Some enterprises may choose to use a combination of both API-based development and UI-based configuration, depending on the specific tasks at hand.

As for research articles, there are many resources available online that discuss the pros and cons of API-based development vs. UI-based configuration in the context of CDPs. Here are a few that you may find helpful:

• "API-first architecture: Why it matters for your CDP" (Segment blog)
  • "How to Get Started with CDP Development" (Tealium blog)
  • "Building a CDP: Should You Build or Buy?" (CMSWire article)

Hope we can help you!

Origin Data

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This depends on the type of deployment which is being performed.  With the Adobe RTCDP platform all interactions performed in the UI do have a corresponding API call which can be executed.  

Before the introduction of packages there really was not a clean way to perform an SDL deployment of Adobe RTCDP objects (schema, dataSets, audiences) from sandbox A into sandbox B.

The effort to build out the object in a lower environment via an API the deployment process to an upper environment should be done via automation script (git, jenkins..etc).

Level 8

I agree with you on CDP being an API first platform. The thing I have found that I would prefer to do through UI is to create schema as you can lookup all different Field Groups and other relevant details. Same for datasets as you can do the field mapping and apply any data prep functions. Also, the UI helps for creating segments/audiences. You can do all of this in the Dev sandbox and then migrate to the Prod sandbox.

Thanks

Narendra

Administrator

@CorsoDad2018 Did you find the suggestion solution helpful? It would be great if you can  mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, share it with wider audience in the community.