Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Journey Optimizer Community Lens 7th edition is out.
SOLVED

Difference between Channel (email) and Email Identity in the landing page opt-out

Community Advisor

What is the difference between Channel (email) and Email Identity in the landing page opt-out? In the documentation, it is mentioned that opt-in or opt-out applies to all email addresses of a profile with Channel (email). In the case of work email, billing email, etc., how does AJO recognize communication preferences for all emails?

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/journey-optimizer/using/landing-pages/landing-pages-desig...

A profile would receive an email based on the Execution field; let’s assume it is personalEmail.address. It is always one email address to which the email would be sent through multiple email addresses available at the profile level.. I would like to understand how the consent is registered back into the profile when there are numerous email addresses, in the case of Channel (email) and Email Identity.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Anuhya-Y 

Channel (email): The opt-in or opt-out applies to the whole Email channel

Identity (email): The opt-in or opt-out only applies to the email address that was used to access the landing page.

See the screenshot below.

my consent.marketing.email is yes but I have 2 consents Identity as I have multiple emails (Identity opt-out). I will receive emails only on the consent.idSpecific.Email which is yes 

If my consent.marketing.email was no, I won't receive any emails (Channel opt-out)

DavidKangni_0-1720540680975.png

Thanks,

David

David Kangni

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Anuhya-Y 

Channel (email): The opt-in or opt-out applies to the whole Email channel

Identity (email): The opt-in or opt-out only applies to the email address that was used to access the landing page.

See the screenshot below.

my consent.marketing.email is yes but I have 2 consents Identity as I have multiple emails (Identity opt-out). I will receive emails only on the consent.idSpecific.Email which is yes 

If my consent.marketing.email was no, I won't receive any emails (Channel opt-out)

DavidKangni_0-1720540680975.png

Thanks,

David

David Kangni

Community Advisor

@DavidKangni  Thanks for the response.

It is always a single email address to which the email will be sent (based on the Execution field), even though multiple email addresses are allowed at consent.idSpecific.Email.

Let’s consider a scenario below , how two different email addresses from consent.idSpecific.Email would receive communications when the Execution field contains a different email address: Would be great if you could share any real business use case scenario of this implementation.

Community Advisor

@Anuhya-Y 
The two different email addresses from consent.idSpecific.Email wouldn't receive communications. It's always the email address used in the execution field which will receive the communications.

But they are exclusion rules before sending deliveries and these rules are checking first the consent.marketing.email then the consent.idSpecific.Email 

The real business use case scenario of this implementation is any client who have parent/child or houseshold/individual account structure

• Execution field emailAddress
    consent.marketing.email: Y
    consent.idSpecific.Email: Y for def@gmail.com
    consent.idSpecific.Email: Y for abc@gmail.com
    In this case, the profile will receive the email on abc@gmail.com

• Execution field emailAddress:
    consent.marketing.email: N
    consent.idSpecific.Email: Y for abc@gmail.com
    In this case, the profiles will not receive any emails as the consent.marketing.email is N

• Execution field emailAddress
    consent.marketing.email: Y
    consent.idSpecific.Email: N for abc@gmail.com
    In this case, the profile won't receive the email on abc@gmail.com  but It will receive email on def@gmail.com in case you use is to send your emails

Hope it helps

Thanks,

David

David Kangni

Community Advisor

@DavidKangni I understand the preference order for consent.marketing.email and consent.idSpecific.Email. However, what is not entirely clear to me is the purpose of collecting multiple idSpecific.email preferences when only one email address (the Execution field emailAddress) is considered for engagement.

Community Advisor

Hi @Anuhya-Y ,

Per default, you don't collect the idSpecific. You collect the profile email addresses and then based your design if the profile allows multiple email addresses.

The engagement will stay as a profile level.

Let's say you have a telco account and you have multiple lines. Each line can have a different email. One of the users can opt-out to receive newsletters. If you're are using channel level to opt-in/opt-out, all the users on the account will be updated based on one user action. If you're using identity level, then only the user who take the action will be updated.

The example applies to any industries or clients where you can have account with multiple users.

Hope that helps.

David

David Kangni