Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Purchase Event, Serialization and purchaseID in DTM

Community Advisor

Something I've found to be a little less than intuitive, and even less documented, is how to properly fire the purchase event in DTM to get proper serialization.  The UI in DTM allows you to fire the purchase event, but my question is this: How do I ensure the event is serialized in the same way it would be in a traditional JavaScript call?  In other words, in JavaScript, I would fire the s.purchase event and then fire s.purchaseID=orderID.

My assumption is that if I were to serialize the purchase event in the DTM User Interface with %orderID% would not result in s.purchaseID receiving the same value.  Is that correct?  I know someone out there has done this before, it's just a matter of implementing the proper process.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Jeff Bloomer
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Jeff,

Your understanding is absolutely correct. If you use Data Element to serialize the purchase event, it won't update the purchaseID variable. Also, there is no field to populate the s.purchaseID in DTM tools/rules.

Hence, to set s.purchaseID you would have to rely on script statement as mentioned below:

s.purchaseID = _satellite.getVar("orderID")

You would need to have this statement under "Custom Page Code" of Adobe Analytics section in the rule preferable in the one which populates the purchase event.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Jeff,

Your understanding is absolutely correct. If you use Data Element to serialize the purchase event, it won't update the purchaseID variable. Also, there is no field to populate the s.purchaseID in DTM tools/rules.

Hence, to set s.purchaseID you would have to rely on script statement as mentioned below:

s.purchaseID = _satellite.getVar("orderID")

You would need to have this statement under "Custom Page Code" of Adobe Analytics section in the rule preferable in the one which populates the purchase event.

Community Advisor

Much appreciated.  Meanwhile, it would be extremely helpful if this information were provided in the Help documentation for DTM implementation.  I spent quite a while looking to make sure I wasn't missing anything before posting to the forum.

Jeff Bloomer