Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Lookup type function in DTM

Level 4

On every AEM page we put a global Google Analytics property ID and for many subdomains/subdirectories we place a local site ID in addition.  Google Tag Manager uses a lookup table to map page urls to variables.  We need to setup something like this in DTM.  What is the best way to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

The trick is that you'd need to use a data element to populate the Google Analytics account ID, however it isn't possible in DTM (by default).  You could write a work around to allow DTM to use a data element.  Then you'd write some custom code in the data element to have it return the correct account ID.

Another option would be to add multiple Google Analytics tools and in the custom code you can "return false" if the domain doesn't match the correct URL.  Not ideal, but it is a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

The trick is that you'd need to use a data element to populate the Google Analytics account ID, however it isn't possible in DTM (by default).  You could write a work around to allow DTM to use a data element.  Then you'd write some custom code in the data element to have it return the correct account ID.

Another option would be to add multiple Google Analytics tools and in the custom code you can "return false" if the domain doesn't match the correct URL.  Not ideal, but it is a solution.

Level 4

If I understand, we would populate a data element based on a URL or DOM element on the page then write a JS routine to look up a value.  I guess we could put a page property on each page that was inheritable.  The property could be put into a JSON object on the page and read into a data element directly with no DTM JS coding.  Would that work?

Level 8

I think so yes.

Could you let us know if you tried it and what the result was?

Sorry for the delayed response.

Rahul

Level 8

I think the method using data elements as described by Adam should probably work.

In case you need it, here's some documentation on how to set up data elements.