Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Like-for-like migration of s_code file to DTM

Level 1

Hi, guys,

I have been assigned to an Adobe Analytics migration to DTM project for the first time as someone who knows Google Tag Manager very well "and would be able to figure out DTM very easily. Tag Managers are all similar anyway, right?" Well, it's wrong, but no one really cares, and I still have to work on the project. :)

I would appreciate your help with the following situation. So, the context:

• currently, the Company is reliant on a tracking script embedded in the page code, with a heavily customised s_code file hosted locally;
  • for starters, the Company is after a like-for-like migration of tracking to DTM. Ideally, I am supposed to bring the s_code file in DTM with as little alterations as possible with the view to transition to a proper DTM-based tracking using Data Elements sometime in the future (2017);
  • I've read the whole DTM documentation and multiple online resources, and I still have questions.

Question 1. Is there a way to cut and paste the s_code? More specifically, am I right to think that I can set up the basic tracking through "Library Management" under the Adobe Analytics tool that I have set up and then paste the rest of the s_code (that defines props and vars) to "Customize Page Code"? If not, would you please enlighten me regarding the quickest way to import/mirror customisations, outlined in the s_code, in DTM?

Question 2. If all the code customisation goes to "Customize Page Code", does it also include - on top of props and vars - plugin and traffic channel management scripts?

Question 3. To fire the imported code, would I have to set up a page load rule with no conditions?

Question 4. With this setup, would I still have to set up props, vars and channels in DTM, specifically, in the Adobe Analytics tool under "Global variables", or would their values be captured anyway?

To reiterate, having spent a considerable amount of time dedicated to studying DTM setup practice, I have an idea what is a good DTM setup. Unfortunately, in this case I'm expected to do a "quick and dirty" tracking migration to DTM with the outlook to change that in the future.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Igor,

I'm not sure which docs you viewed, but there is a good one here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dtm/gs/. This one talks about the different hosting options (where to put your code) and how to migrate an Analytics implementation. Regarding your questions:

Question 1: Is there a way to cut and paste the s_code? More specifically, am I right to think that I can set up the basic tracking through "Library Management" under the Adobe Analytics tool that I have set up and then paste the rest of the s_code (that defines props and vars) to "Customize Page Code"? If not, would you please enlighten me regarding the quickest way to import/mirror customisations, outlined in the s_code, in DTM?

• Yes, you could copy/paste the code into the code directly into DTM as illustrated in the Hosted in DTM example here. You could also self host the js file.

Question 2. If all the code customisation goes to "Customize Page Code", does it also include - on top of props and vars - plugin and traffic channel management scripts?

• This is where you would place your global plugins or scripts. If there are scripts you do not want to fire globally you can make a rule for that script and define when it fires.

Question 3. To fire the imported code, would I have to set up a page load rule with no conditions?

• By adding the Analytics Tool a page view will fire with the variables configured in the tool.

Question 4. With this setup, would I still have to set up props, vars and channels in DTM, specifically, in the Adobe Analytics tool under "Global variables", or would their values be captured anyway?

• If the values are specified in your JS file globally it would still capture the variables. If they are not specified in the JS file they would need to be added to either the Adobe Analytics Tool or as a Rule (event based, page load, or direct).

Hope this helps,

Tacia

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Igor,

I'm not sure which docs you viewed, but there is a good one here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dtm/gs/. This one talks about the different hosting options (where to put your code) and how to migrate an Analytics implementation. Regarding your questions:

Question 1: Is there a way to cut and paste the s_code? More specifically, am I right to think that I can set up the basic tracking through "Library Management" under the Adobe Analytics tool that I have set up and then paste the rest of the s_code (that defines props and vars) to "Customize Page Code"? If not, would you please enlighten me regarding the quickest way to import/mirror customisations, outlined in the s_code, in DTM?

• Yes, you could copy/paste the code into the code directly into DTM as illustrated in the Hosted in DTM example here. You could also self host the js file.

• This is where you would place your global plugins or scripts. If there are scripts you do not want to fire globally you can make a rule for that script and define when it fires.

• By adding the Analytics Tool a page view will fire with the variables configured in the tool.

• If the values are specified in your JS file globally it would still capture the variables. If they are not specified in the JS file they would need to be added to either the Adobe Analytics Tool or as a Rule (event based, page load, or direct).

Hope this helps,

Tacia