Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

DTM: Direct Call Rule - how to set it exactly (example inside)

Level 3

I have a string on website which is being passed on the download link which looks like:

onmousedown = trackEvent({'rs.web.digitalData.download_name:'<download name>', rs.web.digitalData.page_name:'<page name>,rs.web.digitalData.site_section:'<site section name>',rs.web.digitalData.store:'ds', rs.web.digitalData.page_type:'ds content',rs.web.digitalData.ecSystemId:'WEB',rs.web.digitalData.site:'DesignSpark', rs.web.digitalData.userId:'<customerID>})

What do I need to do exactly to pass these data via Direct Call rule? When one creates a Direct Call rule they need to specify a string. What string would be in this case? What do I need to put inside _satellite.track() method to test it in console?

desktop_exl_promo_600x100_gdrp.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

When you create a direct call rule and open up the conditions section, you’ll notice immediately that unlike page load and event-based rules, there are no entry conditions, only a single text box . 

This is a free-text box, and what you specify within this box is the key to triggering direct call rules via the _satellite.track() method. To trigger the above example, you would run the following line of javascript, after which the rule would fire immediately – note that the string value is case sensitive, and that quotes need to be used within the brackets;

_satellite.track(‘trackInternalSearch’);

Hence , you can't  pass event data like you mentioned above in your post. The only parameter you can pass is condition string.

However there is an alternative way of doing this :

One of the recommended Implementation method of tracking user actions i.e. Events is to use pass the event information in data layer and then use push method for updating those events in data layer and subsequently fire the direct call rule.

1. Create a data layer which has an event information. Refer the below screen shot:

2. For every event tracking, Use below code:

3. And then  create a Direct Call Rule for 'Learn More event', which would send the event info to Analytics.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 3

"Hence , you can't  pass event data like you mentioned above in your post. The only parameter you can pass is condition string."

How to create a condition string in the code I am passing? This was my question. _satellite.track() references the string from the code added to the interaction. Hence, if I am passing an object in the function would it be an object name? 

I can't see your screenshots at all. They are too small. Could you please make them bigger. Otherwise they are not useful at all. 

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

When you create a direct call rule and open up the conditions section, you’ll notice immediately that unlike page load and event-based rules, there are no entry conditions, only a single text box . 

This is a free-text box, and what you specify within this box is the key to triggering direct call rules via the _satellite.track() method. To trigger the above example, you would run the following line of javascript, after which the rule would fire immediately – note that the string value is case sensitive, and that quotes need to be used within the brackets;

_satellite.track(‘trackInternalSearch’);

Hence , you can't  pass event data like you mentioned above in your post. The only parameter you can pass is condition string.

However there is an alternative way of doing this :

One of the recommended Implementation method of tracking user actions i.e. Events is to use pass the event information in data layer and then use push method for updating those events in data layer and subsequently fire the direct call rule.

1. Create a data layer which has an event information. Refer the below screen shot:

2. For every event tracking, Use below code:

3. And then  create a Direct Call Rule for 'Learn More event', which would send the event info to Analytics.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 10

Hi , 
Please double click on the images in the prevoius post and they will open in a Zoomed view in a new tab.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 3

OK.  This makes sense now. Many thanks for your help.