Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

Running mutually exclusive AB tests on the same page

Level 2

Hi!

We have 2 A/B tests running on our homepage. They target different audiences but some users fall into both audiences and are therefore currently being counted in both tests which is causing contamination in the data. How can we make these 2 tests mutually exclusive and randomly assign users who fall into both audiences into a test?

I've found here https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/audiences/visitor-profiles/use-profile-scripts-... that we would need to create a profile script as below. What would we then need to do?

angharadm287005_0-1629977096310.png

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Update:

I've now set up the profile script and audiences but:

If a customer falls into 'Group A' which I set for Test A, but they actually would've only qualified for Test B, they'll then not qualify for either test? So we would see a reduction in traffic to both tests. Is there any way of avoiding this?

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

Update:

I've now set up the profile script and audiences but:

If a customer falls into 'Group A' which I set for Test A, but they actually would've only qualified for Test B, they'll then not qualify for either test? So we would see a reduction in traffic to both tests. Is there any way of avoiding this?

Level 2

Wouldn't you first set up audience who qualified for B? then split the traffic and then exclude that from A and split again.  By default, you are already artificially separating the segments.  So it's not 50%/50% for A and B, it is B, then 50/50, and then exclude B, then 50/50 again. 

Level 2

Given both tests are running on the same page, have you tried excluding test B audience from test A? When editing audience for activities, there's an option called "visitor profile" and one of the drop-down options is "not from other activities"   Haven't personally tested this before, but maybe you can create some kind of a rule combination of "not from other activities" + "page name where you are running the tests"

Another possible solution is to add additional query parameters in the URL where you are running the test so Target can differentiate and avoid audience cross-pollination.

For example:

Test A: example.com/?control

Test B: example.com/?experience_B

Hope this helps.