Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to split environment in Target?

Level 1

My company has one mobile app with different environment (SIT, UAT, STG, PROD), integrate with Target

We want to split Target to different environment, to make sure some specific users can only access to Target SIT environment, create activities, and activities only work for Mobile App SIT

Do we have solution to do this?

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @VietVuQuoc 

I believe you're using AEP Mobile SDK for your implementation from there Target been integrated. hope this is correct? If so then for data collection,

you're using Adobe Data Collection UI where you will typically create a mobile property for each mobile application you want to manage and the Target Extension installed. 

At the time of library build you can chose Target to be added in specific environment.  

https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/home/getting-started/create-a-mobile-property/#publish-the-c...

https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/solution/adobe-target/#add-target-to-your-app 

And if you're looking to give access for create activities in Target UI - that you need to manage it separately through Admin console and assign right permission to the user.  

Hope this helps. 

Community Advisor

To elaborate what @Gokul_Agiwal mentioned regarding access.

You can ensure certain users only have access to create activities on a specific environment by utilizing and combining Properties with Workspaces. A property is mapped to a workspace.

You create a Property and a Workspace for each environment. When you create a property it will generate a unique id for the property - you implement this id into its relevant environment in the app itself.
e.g. SIT = idA, UAT = idB, etc.

You map each property to the workspace intended for the environment. You grant users access to the relevant workspace. 

The result of this will be that users with access to Workspace for SIT will only be able to create activities on SIT environment. This is handled by the property and the unique ID generated for SIT enivironment.

It is difficult to explain in writing, hopefully I'm making sensem or the articles i link to does a better job of explaining it than i do. If not, feel free to ask!

Community Advisor

@kandersen Agree with your last comment ... "It is difficult to explain in writing" however nicely articulate the scenario, Thanks!!!

@VietVuQuoc Let us know hoe it goes through and if any questions please feel free to post it here.

Level 1

Thanks @Gokul_Agiwal , @kandersen 

I think Kandersen answers is exactly what I need, totally understand his idea! From your idea, I'm thinking more deeply, we are using RTCDP to feed segment for Target. 

- In Data Collection, we have 1 Tag for Mobile App, 1 DatastreamID, multiple EnvironmentID (SIT, UAT, STG, PROD)

- In RTCDP, we have 1 "Target Mobile App" destination

As I know, 1 DatastreamID map - 1 RTCDP destination - 1 Target workspace. If we split workspace & properties to different environment, do we need to change any architecture solution in RTCDP and Data Collection, and Mobile App?

(This architecture is used for RTCDP, Target, Campaign and Analytics in my company)

Level 6

Hi @VietVuQuoc , 

I believe your doubt has been resolved from the response perfectly given by @kandersen and @Gokul_Agiwal 

We have created a blog which is well suited with a similar scenario to further explain the management of multiple properties and workspaces in Adobe Target. 

https://dexata.co/building-safe-and-secure-engaging-experiences-the-importance-of-controlled-access-...

Please do give it a read and let me know if it helps. 

Thanks and regards, 

Vaibhav Mathur