Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

How Do I Set Up a Split URL Test?

Level 3

Hey Friends!

I need to set up a split URL test in Target. I want 50% of traffic to go to URL "A" (Control) and 50% to URL "B" (Variation); both of which already live on our server. For example:

I don't want to create the changes in the Variation as "Experience B". I just want people to be split 50/50 between the two different URLs.

Can someone tell me how to accomplish this? Amelia Waliany​? Anyone?

Thanks!

Ron Ray

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Ron,

Since you aren't trying to make the change int he content from Target between ExpA vs ExpB I would say try doing the following:

1. Set up A/B activity

2. Split traffic 50% to ExpA and 50% to ExpB

3. Set up a redirect for ExpA to go to: www.example.com/page/a

3. Set up a redirect for ExpB to go to: www.example.com/page/b

In case you need it here is a KB article that walks you through how to Redirect to a URL

Does that help answer your question?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Ron,

Since you aren't trying to make the change int he content from Target between ExpA vs ExpB I would say try doing the following:

1. Set up A/B activity

2. Split traffic 50% to ExpA and 50% to ExpB

3. Set up a redirect for ExpA to go to: www.example.com/page/a

3. Set up a redirect for ExpB to go to: www.example.com/page/b

In case you need it here is a KB article that walks you through how to Redirect to a URL

Does that help answer your question?

Level 3

Hey Minhea-

Thanks a ton for the answer. I will give this a shot!

Do you know if redirecting will affect SEO performance? Also, in the past, Google has rejected our paid ads when there was a redirect. Do you know if the redirecting from this test will cause the ads to get rejected?

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Ron

Employee Advisor

Ron,

Redirects slow things down and are not conducive towards good SEO. Also per: https://support.google.com/adspolicy/answer/6368661?hl=en they are not allowed for your Google Ads. So you are kind of stuck between a hard place and a rock. You either user redirects knowing how it will affect you or you use one URL and modify the content in Adobe Target to differentiate between ExpA and ExpB. Hope I've been able to help even though the answers are not probably what you want to hear.

Level 3

Hey Mihnea-

So basically, within Adobe Target, the redirects may have a slight effect on SEO performance? I'm cool with that since the test will only be 2-3 weeks.

Also, after Target executes the redirect, does the URL stay the same in the browser address bar?

Finally, just to clarify, you are saying that since there are redirects involved--even though they are executed in a testing platform like Target--that this goes against Google Ads' rules and will likely be rejected?

Sorry, I hope I don't seem dense. I just need to be sure that I understand completely when I am explaining it to my stakeholders.

Thanks!

Employee Advisor

Ron,

It's a real redirect. The URL woudl change. There is no URL masking taking place. I do believe that Google checks to see if the destination redirects or not so it woudl technically be against their rules.

These are great questions!

Level 3

Thanks, Minhea! You have been super helpful.

Ron