Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for an upcoming in-person Adobe Target Skill Builders event ~~> We're hosting these live learning opportunities to equip you with the knowledge and skills to leverage Target successfully. Learn more to see if we'll be coming to a city near you!
SOLVED

Home page personalisation using adobe target

Level 2

Hi Fam, 

I am trying to build a personalisation on homepage.

On the website home page, there are five categories. And each category has sub categories inside. All these sub categories has articles. I want when a user comes on these sub categories and reads the most articles, and when the user goes to the home page then the user sees a personalised banner. 
for example - we have 16 sub categories. I read 6 articles from sub category 2, 4 articles from subcategory 3 and 1 from sub category 7 then i should be able to see sub category 2 related banner on homepage. 

please let me know the process and how can we create audiences in target for such scenario. 

your help would be much appreciated!!

thanks a ton!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear @SMe2 ,

Check whether you can use Recommendations with the criteria 'Popularity-Based'. This would be the simplest option based on my understanding.

If not, you need to create your own customized Profile Script to compute your logic and target the customers, which would be complex.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear @SMe2 ,

Check whether you can use Recommendations with the criteria 'Popularity-Based'. This would be the simplest option based on my understanding.

If not, you need to create your own customized Profile Script to compute your logic and target the customers, which would be complex.

Level 2

Thank you for your response!
We wont be using recommendation here.

if we use profile script then how we will be creating the audiences for all the sub categories? Any idea on that? 

Right now i am thinking to implement a new tag/cookie on the website which will reflect the name of the sub category which was read the most by the user. Then using launch will pass the profile.”tag/cookie” value to target so that it comes under the visitor profile drop down and then will create the audience.

will this work? Am i missing on anything? 

any other suggestion or ways i can achieve this? 

please let me know. 
thanks!

Community Advisor

Dear @SMe2 ,

How are you planning to calculate the most seen articles within the sub-category?

Are you going to count the number of articles for each category using a cookie and then send the sub-category name with the most articles read? If that's the case, when will you send the final sub-category? By the end of the visit? Or by, some other way/means?

If you explain to me the logic that you are trying to create using a cookie, you can build the same logic in Profile Script too.

Can you explain your logic here?

Employee Advisor

Hi @SMe2 ,

You could make use of category affinity in this case. on all subcategory -> article page pass user.categoryID parameter.

for example, 

category page - XYZ

subcategory inside XYZ - ABC

article 1, article 2, and article 3 are the final 3 pages.

So on each article page pass user.categoryID="ABC"

category page - XYZ

subcategory inside XYZ - PQR

article 4, article 5, and article 6 are the final 3 pages.

So on each article page pass user.categoryID="PQR"

basis this let's say user visits all three, article 4, article 5, and article 6 pages and one article 1 page then category affinity array will contain PQR as favorite category, that is most viewed article category.

Finally create audience under audience -> visitor profile -> category affinity

Thanks,

Gauresh k

Community Advisor

Dear @Gaureshk_Kodag ,

The favorite category is not based on the the category with most views right?

From my understanding favorite category is calculated based on a recency and frequency model i.e. not based on the most viewed item. Let me know if I have a different understanding.

Employee Advisor

@PratheepArunRaj The more you visit any category it'll get scored more and rank higher as compared to other categories.

The only thing is it will also be minus one point when you visit another category.

Community Advisor

Yes @Gaureshk_Kodag , that's my point.

The first category visited will get more points and the category with low score (Before the visitor visits the category multiple times) will also be dropped. So, pretty not sure whether Category Affinity will be the right choice.

Level 2

@PratheepArunRaj @Gaureshk_Kodag 

I am not sure if i can use category affinity here as i don’t want to drop the score of any affinity. Please guide me if you have any logic!!

it would be really really helpful!

Community Advisor

Dear @SMe2 ,

As I said earlier, you need to write your custom logic.

Or use Category Affinity or Recommendations based on its own criteria/computation.