Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Enabling on-device decisioning

Level 1

My company is kicking off a big "modernization" project that involves updating our legacy web apps to a single-page-app architecture, and updating the way we use Target, Analytics, and the rest of the Experience Cloud.

I would like to being experimenting with our Target setup. Can I safely enable on-device decisioning (under Administration > Implementation) for use with a locally-running development SPA, without impacting our production site?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Will you be updating to a newer version of Adobe Target as well? Or just turning on the feature? As far as I know, you can put Target in a hybrid mode where it will require that the new json file (all your activities) be present prior to relying on said json file. In the loading time, it will still make normal api calls. I have it turned on and haven't seen a negative impact to site performance but that would probably depend on your place of Adobe Target, hopefully in the head of the app, etc. Here is some info:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/implement-target/server-side/on-device-decision...

Also, I have found on-device decisioning to be rather limited (sorry Adobe) due to that it only works for simple audience rules (non visitor profile) and it does not support automated personalization or auto-target/auto-allocate activities. It seems more akin to a feature toggle / software toggle capability.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Will you be updating to a newer version of Adobe Target as well? Or just turning on the feature? As far as I know, you can put Target in a hybrid mode where it will require that the new json file (all your activities) be present prior to relying on said json file. In the loading time, it will still make normal api calls. I have it turned on and haven't seen a negative impact to site performance but that would probably depend on your place of Adobe Target, hopefully in the head of the app, etc. Here is some info:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/implement-target/server-side/on-device-decision...

Also, I have found on-device decisioning to be rather limited (sorry Adobe) due to that it only works for simple audience rules (non visitor profile) and it does not support automated personalization or auto-target/auto-allocate activities. It seems more akin to a feature toggle / software toggle capability.  

Level 1

Thanks Eric. Just turning on the feature for now.

As it turned out, you were right -- enabling on-device decisioning caused Target to start generating the JSON artifact, but didn't affect any old-style activities as far as I can tell. Thanks!

Our team is frankly a bit confused at how best to use ODD... I definitely agree that it looks like Adobe's answer to feature flags.

Most of our tests have fairly complex custom code, and we use Target to deliver it to the client. But ODD seems very much like a push toward server-side testing, albeit with fewer options (eg visitor profile). I'm stumped.