Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for an upcoming in-person Adobe Target Skill Builders event ~~> We're hosting these live learning opportunities to equip you with the knowledge and skills to leverage Target successfully. Learn more to see if we'll be coming to a city near you!
SOLVED

Counting impressions of timed Target activity

Level 2

We're setting up an activity that will display a pop-up after 30 seconds of browsing. The activity will also display only on selected pages, not site-wide.

Will Target count unique visitors of the activity as the people who actually saw the pop-up, or will it count also visitors who have not spend 30 seconds of browsing?

If it counts any visitor, would you recommend firing an impression event, or relying simply on a segment that filters visitors who have spent 30 seconds on the site? Or some other solution, like an Audience Manager audience?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

It sounds like a user qualifies for the activity and then within the activity there is some code that triggers the pop-up after 30 seconds. If that's understood correctly, then yes Target will count a visitor entering the activity as soon as they qualify for the activity, even if they don't reach the 30 second threshold. 

There's a couple of different options I can think of:
i) Handle the timer logic outside of Target and then make a request to Target after 30 seconds to retrieve the pop-up activity, at which point Target would count the visitor & display the pop-up at the same time
ii) As you mentioned, handle the timer logic within Target and then fire a custom event, which denotes an impression, when the pop-up is displayed

The benefit of i) is that you could use Target (or Analytics) in-built reporting to calculate conversion/lift etc because Visits/Visitors would actually represent those that saw the pop up. But you could still easily report on ii) by exporting the data and making the calculations offline

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

It sounds like a user qualifies for the activity and then within the activity there is some code that triggers the pop-up after 30 seconds. If that's understood correctly, then yes Target will count a visitor entering the activity as soon as they qualify for the activity, even if they don't reach the 30 second threshold. 

There's a couple of different options I can think of:
i) Handle the timer logic outside of Target and then make a request to Target after 30 seconds to retrieve the pop-up activity, at which point Target would count the visitor & display the pop-up at the same time
ii) As you mentioned, handle the timer logic within Target and then fire a custom event, which denotes an impression, when the pop-up is displayed

The benefit of i) is that you could use Target (or Analytics) in-built reporting to calculate conversion/lift etc because Visits/Visitors would actually represent those that saw the pop up. But you could still easily report on ii) by exporting the data and making the calculations offline