Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

Adobe Target - Category Affinity Algorithm - Multiple Values

Level 4
Does anyone know how the Adobe Target category affinity algorithm treats multiple values passed to the user.categoryId mbox parameter? Let’s say that I have the following journey. Each entry includes the following:
{Page Sequence Number}: [Value passed in user.categoryId mbox parameter] (Page context, I.e. what purpose it serves in the journey)
Are all categories included in the first page given 10 points?
  1. Page 1: [“business unit 1”, “business unit 2", “business unit 3”] (A hub page with all multiple services listed)
  2. Page 2: [“business unit 2", “business unit 3”] (A product category page with several services listed)
  3. Page 3: [“business unit 3"] (A specific product page)

Per the documentation, multiple values are possible but it doesn't include an example for how they are valued. 

Separate categories with a comma to include an item in multiple categories. For example:
  • user.categoryId=clothing,shoes,nike,running,nike clothing,nike shoes,nike running shoes

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I did do some testing with this. 

When I load Target, an empty value is sent as a user.categoryId so that's why you'll see it as an entry. Here are the steps for a quick test. 

1. Load the homepage with the mboxtrace parameters in an incognito window.

2. Push an event including the user.categoryId parameter with multiple, comma-separated values to Adobe Target using the console--see code below. 

adobe.target.trackEvent({ 
    "mbox": "target-global-mbox", 
    "params": { 
        "user.categoryId": "one,two,three,four,five"
    } 
});

3. Open the network log and find the Target requests--search "json?mbox" and open the second request--the one associated with the Adobe Target event. See below for the output for Affinity Category. I believe that the reason that "one" is not present here is that Adobe Target's affinity category algorithm truncates any category beyond five categories. I hope that someone from Adobe can chime in here as I don't understand the logic for for the score for multiple categories. 

CategoryAffinity[visitedEnvironments = [23427], categoryAffinities = {
    23427 = [
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = four, score = 7.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = , score = 6.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = five, score = 5.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = three, score = 4.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = two, score = 3.0]
]
}

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 4
I did do some testing with this. See below .

Level 4
I did do some testing with this. See below.

Correct answer by
Level 4

I did do some testing with this. 

When I load Target, an empty value is sent as a user.categoryId so that's why you'll see it as an entry. Here are the steps for a quick test. 

1. Load the homepage with the mboxtrace parameters in an incognito window.

2. Push an event including the user.categoryId parameter with multiple, comma-separated values to Adobe Target using the console--see code below. 

adobe.target.trackEvent({ 
    "mbox": "target-global-mbox", 
    "params": { 
        "user.categoryId": "one,two,three,four,five"
    } 
});

3. Open the network log and find the Target requests--search "json?mbox" and open the second request--the one associated with the Adobe Target event. See below for the output for Affinity Category. I believe that the reason that "one" is not present here is that Adobe Target's affinity category algorithm truncates any category beyond five categories. I hope that someone from Adobe can chime in here as I don't understand the logic for for the score for multiple categories. 

CategoryAffinity[visitedEnvironments = [23427], categoryAffinities = {
    23427 = [
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = four, score = 7.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = , score = 6.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = five, score = 5.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = three, score = 4.0], 
        CategoryAffinity.CategoryAffinityValue[categoryId = two, score = 3.0]
]
}

Community Advisor

Hi @zach_shearer Were you able to resolve the issue with the multi-categories page?