Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

A4T - Click-tracking on multiple elements

Level 3

Hello,

As part of a series of tests on the website navigation, I plan to add an entirely new drop-down menu with the goal of better surfacing some useful, but relatively hidden content.

I would like to add click-tracking to each of the new links in the navigation to determine which one is used most frequently.

When using A4T, it only appears possible to add one click-track event as a goal metric. I want to be able to capture clicks for each of the different navigation links, and ideally be able to determine whether they were visiting from a mobile/tablet/desktop.

I assume I need to leverage the mbox on the page in some way, does anybody know a way of achieving this?

The test has been built using the VEC and using the older mbox.js implementation.

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Chris - 

I should've provided a little more detail. eVars are Adobe Analytics variables that you would have to implement in your Target offers. They would make a request to Adobe Analytics and the data would appear there. We use a simple onClick with javascript or jquery to  populate and call the eVar. I can't really provide you with a code sample because or implementation is so custom it wouldn't make sense. Your developers should be able to call the eVar when visitors engage.

it would be similar to how you would implement click tracking with an mbox. We actually call the track.event  for Target at the same time we populate the eVar.

Here is a doc that might help.

Using Function Calls with Custom Link Code 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 4

Chris -

We just fire and eVar with click actions since we are using A4T. So for example....

If the user clicked on the new nav you could fire "eVar99=newnav" and they click an option you would fire "eVar99-newnav_element1" This would give you the ability to look in AA to see what the visitors for each cell are engaging with by test cell and you'd be able to add any segment including mobile, desktop, etc.

This limits you to reporting in AA.

Another option is to have 2 campaigns in Target. One that has mbox click-tracking and then one that sends data to AA. You could slice and dice in AA and implement the mbox clicks in the separate campaign. A lot of work yes

We've used both options to measure clicks and engagement.

Hope this helps

Russ

Level 3

Hi Russ,

Thank you for the quick reply. Your eVar option sounds ideal, however I haven't used eVars before. I've relied on the existing Analytics  metrics, or tracked clicks in Adobe Target.

Forgive my ignorance, are eVars something that can be set up in Target - or do they need to be implemented via Analytics first and triggered via Target?

Is it possible to explain how to set one up, or is there an article you're aware of that explains how to set one up?

Thanks,

Chris

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Chris - 

I should've provided a little more detail. eVars are Adobe Analytics variables that you would have to implement in your Target offers. They would make a request to Adobe Analytics and the data would appear there. We use a simple onClick with javascript or jquery to  populate and call the eVar. I can't really provide you with a code sample because or implementation is so custom it wouldn't make sense. Your developers should be able to call the eVar when visitors engage.

it would be similar to how you would implement click tracking with an mbox. We actually call the track.event  for Target at the same time we populate the eVar.

Here is a doc that might help.

Using Function Calls with Custom Link Code 

Level 3

Thanks Russ,

That's exactly what I needed.

Chris