Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

How can I redirect to a URL where the sub-directories can be different?

Level 2

Hi all!

Here's my dilemma...

I have a url that looks like this: domain.com/search/x-[something]/y-[something]

I want to redirect anything with /search to /search?param=xyz, while still including the sub-directories. Like /search/x-[something]/y-[something]?param=xyz.

Any advice as to how I can basically wildcard the redirect?

thanks!

4 Replies

Employee

kens48669563

You can try redirecting through the Target inbuilt redirect feature and mention the complete URL with parameters to redirect on

Redirect to a URL

Level 2

Right but the problem is that the subdirectories in the URL will change. Everything after the /search/ is variable.

Level 3

Hi Kens,

So I understand correctly  - you are not necessarily wanting to redirect to a completely different page, but basically add a parameters to the same page, and reload?

Instead of trying the in-built redirect feature, this could be done with some simple javascript to add the parameter.

There are a few ways to achieve this but a short way that might be suitable for your test case is this custom code:

window.location.search += '&param=xyz';

i see it has been a few weeks since you posted, so hope this helps.  I'm unsure if this approach would introduce any reporting concerns but i guess might affect page view numbers if both the initial page and destination page view are recorded.

Employee Advisor

Hi Kens,

I think Dave's solution is the right path. You'll want to use a custom code script to handle the redirect rather the the out-of-the-box redirect option per your mentioned criteria.

Your specific use case will require a template rule, an audience, and custom code redirect script.

1. Template rule: use OR when page path contains "/search/"
  2. A custom code script (add custom code type modification via modification pane - open with code icon in upper right of editor)
    1. Like Dave suggested:
  3. On step 2 for the targeting you want to create a custom audience that for people who's current page url does NOT contain "param=xyz" to prevent those people from entering a continuous loop.