Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

[AT Community Q&A Coffee Break] 2/23/22, 8am PT: Vishal Chordia, Senior Product Manager

Administrator

Join us for the next Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break 

taking place Wednesday, February 23rd, 2022 @ 8am PT - 9am PT

~ Be sure to REGISTER HERE to receive email reminders and a calendar hold ~

We'll be joined by Vishal Chordia aka @vishalchordia, Senior Product Manager, who will be signed in here to the Adobe Target Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Target questions pertaining to his areas of expertise:

• Adobe Experience Platform
  • Audience-based Personalization
  • Real-time Customer Data Platform (RTCDP) integration with Target
  • General Adobe Target topics

Shelby Goff aka @shelbygoff, Senior Technical Support Engineer, will also be in the thread to provide further guidance around the above topics with Vishal!

REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE 

• Must be signed in to the Community during the 1-hour period 
  • Must post a Question about Adobe Target
  • THAT'S IT!  *(think of this as the Adobe Target Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game) 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with @vishalchordia 
  • When exchanging messages with Jon about your specific question, be sure to use the editor’s "QUOTE" button, which will indicate which post you're replying to, and will help contain your conversation with Vishal

*Please be sure to REGISTER HERE, and sign in to the Community on 2/23/22 @ 8am PT for direct answers from Vishal

Amelia_Waliany_0-1643674091469.jpeg

Vishal Chordia is a Senior Product Manager for Experience Platform & Personalization. Prior to joining Adobe, he spent over 12 years building Big data and ML products in five different industries across AdTech, Healthcare AI, MarTech, Telecom, and Cloud Voice to deliver a personalized experience to end-users. Vishal is passionate about helping brands creating meaningful customer experiences at scale through product innovation. Vishal holds an M.S. in Computer Engineering from Carnegie Mellon.

Curious about what an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break looks like? Be sure to check out the thread from our latest 1/19/22 Adobe Target Coffee Break with Group Product Manager for Adobe Target... (@Jon_Teheroand Technical Support Engineer, Kai Motoyama (@kaimotoyama

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

44 Replies

Level 1

Looking forward to this session! My question: If a page has multiple mboxes on it, then in an Auto-Personalization type of Target Campaign, will the ML model optimize on how many times to repeat the same offer on the page? OR is each mbox unaware of what another mbox on the page is displaying? Could you help answer the behavior for a) client side integration (at.js) b) server-side integration with Target. Thanks much!

In AP, you can set rules in the set up to coordinate what can and can't show with each other.  

Brian_Hawkins_MiaProva_0-1645632428276.png

I misread the question and jumped the gun on content rules!  Apologies.  What Ryan said!  

Employee Advisor

Hi Sri! 
Automated Personalization will look at the combination of content and impressions by location. In fact, in the insights reports you will find some of these values listed. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the mboxes are "talking" to each other just that the activity is aware of the performance for each individual when the combination of offers are presented by location. Like Brian showed, there are controls to remove duplicates or exclude experiences where duplication of offers is not wanted as well. The model performance/behavior would be the same in either deployment method (client side or server side).

Employee

If all mboxes are part of the same Automated Personalization campaign, then the ML model is aware of each offer on the page.

However if (say) there are 2 mboxes (X, and Y), and X is part of the AP campaign, while Y is part of a different campaign, then the AP models will be unaware of Y.

I do not believe the behavior is different for server side vs. client side.  

Level 1

Hello,

Question 1: How can we access DOM elements via Target custom code activity, on an application built using SalesForce Velocity Lightening Web Components?

What changes can the development team make to make the DOM elements available for Target to be able to maipulate the elements on the page.

FYI - we have a client side Target implementation.

Question 2: We have multiple domains in our Adobe account. However the profile script parameters values that get written to in one domain don't come through on the other domains we own. Is there a solution we can apply to make the profile parameters values apply across domains?

Thanks!

Question 1:  You can access DOM elements with javascript, jquery or CSS.  There is nothing special you need to do.  Here is an example of DOM manipulating code here;

https://www.miaprova.com/blog/adobe-target-technical-interview-questions/

Question 2:  Adobe Target is a 1st Party Cookie solution and you want that!  The first-party cookies are mapped to the domain that at.js is rendered on.  You can change Target to a 3rd party cookie but I would strongly advise against that.  Best to set the profiles on each domain if you want them.  You can also look at Local Storage as an option to transfer data.  

Level 4

@vishalchordia 
Hi Vishal -

I'm trying to set up a single XT where we can put different banners on any page of our site in any country. Our URL syntax is like this: https://www.my-company.com/locale/product_page
where locale is the country-language selector, e.g., /en-us/.

Because the first dialog in the setup, Activity Location, requires a full/valid URL, and I don't want to limit it to one page or country, I enter
OR > URL > contains > [www.my-company.com]

Then I build an experience for each audience based on the specific page(s) and country(ies) I want to put the banners on. All good so far, but I also want click tracking on the CTAs.

I tried using this: Conversion > Viewed an mbox > Click from Display mbox, but it isn’t working. So maybe I need to talk to our IT and/or Adobe support about how this was set up, or am I misunderstanding something?

As a workaround, I added this Goal: Conversion > clicked page element > [a.cta_button], and that works, but it also causes a JS error on every page of the site that a banner is NOT found on, due to the location setup in step #1.

I tried using the more sensible AND condition. It does work if you paste in the set of all URL fragments for all the banners, then segregate the bar-to-page matches in the Audience for each experience, but this is a big inconvenience.

I could make a separate XT for each page/country combo for a particular banner, but that would be even more tedious to set up and maintain, and create a lot of clutter in the Activities pane for other users. We currently run ~100 of these banners using Google Tag Manager and would like to both move it to Target and expand the program.

Any ideas how I can fix this apparently broken Click from Display mbox goal metric, or a better idea for how to set up an XT for this use case in general?

You probably are grabbing the incorrect selector to track clicks.  You will be so much better off, for many reasons, to track clicks when the visitor LANDS on the page that the click brings them to.  

Add a special URL parameter to the links being used (for example, www.link.com/?s=1) where s=1 means they got there from your click.  Then use this in the Goal config:

Brian_Hawkins_MiaProva_1-1645632585463.png

Thanks Brian, but I don't think I'm "grabbing the wrong selector", I used the selector for the CTA button that I created in the XT, and it works fine to track clicks on it, but the problem is that since the activity is site-wide, I get a JS error on every page where there is not a banner placed by Target, because Target's goal metric is looking for it everywhere.

This is not really a deal breaker, but since we also track JS errors, it results in a high load of noise in that report. So I'd like a better way to set the location, but I'm stumped.

The other thing that I don't understand is why selecting Click from Display mbox goal metric doesn't do anything. I'll email Customer Care, thanks @shelbygoff .

Employee

Hi @davidl55903031 

Great question! This looks like an issue for Adobe Support. In order to answer this, we'll need more specific details and to look into your specific use case. In order to assist with this properly, can you please email customercare@adobe.com and we'll be happy to help out!

Level 2

Good morning, in Adobe Target recommendations I would like to organize and serve pages based on publish date or event date. How would I do this? 

Level 4

Pass the publish date or event date as an mbox parameter to the Target server call.  Then use that in your Audience criteria 

Level 2

How would I go about that? Do I need to update anything in Launch or is it simpler than that? What happens if the author updates the page and republishes it? Is there a better solution, such as adding a parameter for available date or something? 

Level 4

I imagine the variables you want to use are available in the dataLayer, cookie, or Local Storage.  

Once you know where that data is, you would need to update Launch (assuming Target is managed there) and tell Adobe Target to use the data you identified in the server-call.   

Employee

Hi @RYJO2021, thanks for your question! This does not look to be an out of the box feature, but you may want to consider profile attributes and a custom algorithm to do this. If you create custom criteria and a custom algorithm, you may be able to upload a list of products based on publish date or event date. Here's a handy doc with some more insight into this: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/recommendations/criteria/create-new-algorithm.h...

Level 3

Looking forward to it, and wondering how to join.

Question: We are looking at deploying Adobe Target server side and leveraging the global mBox.  But with the Global mBox - is it possible to have more than one experience delivered, or do we need to create an mBox for each type of experience we want to personalised?  For this, I am thinking if we want to deliver a personalised experience for "product", "article" and "get more", do we need 3 local mBoxes or can we do this through one global mBox?

Level 4

You can't use the 'target-global-mbox' name server-side.  That mbox name is special and reserved for client-side use.  Best to use a different name but to answer your question, you can consolidate all offers into a single mbox, just like you can client-side.