Expand my Community achievements bar.

XML database not loading

Level 1

I have a xml database that has some information which is loaded into a drop down menu on my form. While I am in Live Cycle Designer and use the pdf preview, the dropdowns populate correctly and show what is in the database but when I open up the form in Adobe Reader, the dropdown show null. How can I remedy this problem?

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

By xml database do you mean an xml file specified in the Form Properties preview data file?  If so you will need to use Acrobat open the pdf and import the data file, then save as a Reader Extended PDF, which is on the "Save As Other" menu.

Regards

Bruce

Level 1

After using this fix, it appears that when the file changes it doesn't pull in the new database information. Anyway to fix this?

Level 2

The question remains: What do you mean by xml database?

Level 1

I have an external program that creates an xml file. I don't know how to define the xml file as a database. But I am looking for the form to pull information from the file every time it loads so if the xml file changes the autofill data in the form also changes. I can upload an example of the file if you would like.

Level 10

It is as Bruce already said.

You have to import the external XML into your form. If the file has changed, you'll have to import it again I'm afraid.

Level 1

There is no macro or script I can run to reload it on open?

Level 10

You can use the importXFA() method to import data via scripting.

this.importXFAData("../MyFormData.xml");

Note: This script cannot be run directly from a button in your form.

You'll have to call it from a privileged context like the console window or a folder level script.