Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

xfa.host.gotoURL() in Adobe Reader / Dynamic Tables with AcroForms?

Level 2

Hi All,

I have a dynamic table in my LifeCycle form. Each table row contains a button that links to an external PDF file (using xfa.host.gotoURL). The links work fine in Acrobat 8 Pro, so far, so good... But when clicking the buttons in Reader 8, nothing happens. No error message or security warning, nothing...

I searched the web and some forums for this problem and by reading between the lines of some posts I came to guess that my LifeCycle form will not work in Adobe Reader unless I purchase the respective LifeCycle Extensions license... :-/

What exactly are my options now? Can I get the buttons to work in Adobe Reader somehow (using JS) without having to purchase the Reader Extensions? Or can I somehow recreate the dynamic table of the LifeCycle form using AcroForms in Acrobat 8 Pro to avoid the problem? If so, how do I add such a table using Acrobat's form tools...?

Thanks for your help,
Marcus

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

You can use:

app.openDoc(FilePath.rawValue);

to open another Adobe form.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Former Community Member

You do not need to Reader Extend the form to link to a URL. I tried it here and it worked fine using Reader 8. Can you post your form so we may see what you have done? Or if you want ...I posted my sample form so you can see that it does work.

Paul

Level 2

Normal http://.. URLs do indeed work, but relative URLs pointing to local files do not work with the Adobe Reader on my machine. I thought this might be due to a security restriction that can only be overcome by using the Reader Extensions...?

Is there any other way of linking to other PDFs on the local machine than the gotoURL method? I also tried launchApp(), but it didn't work either.

I currently use this statement to link to PDFs in a subfolder:

xfa.host.gotoURL("TrainingGuides/"

+ docName + ".pdf", 1);

Correct answer by
Level 7

You can use:

app.openDoc(FilePath.rawValue);

to open another Adobe form.

Level 2

Great, that seems to work! Thanks a lot!