Expand my Community achievements bar.

WhiteBoard, about drawing line and sending data.

Level 3

If a user draws a line (not straight line) what type of data is being sent to AFCS? is it byteArray? or each point objects?

Or is the WhiteBoard tracking down the user X, Y mouse coordinates and draws?

Thanks,

BaBo,

8 Replies

Former Community Member

In the case of a pen tool, the whiteboard uses an Array of points - check it out in the Room Console. So the whiteboard does track the points during drawing (polling at a constant rate), and uses the points to draw them.

nigel

Level 3

Have you try to do where when MouseUp dispatches taking a screen shot of the line and send that data?

Seems to me that it's too much data when you are trying to send points constantly.

Thanks,

BaBo, 

Former Community Member

Definitely not - sending a bitmap is pretty expensive, quite a bit more expensive than sending an array of points. (A bitmap is an 2-D array of pixels!)

nigel

Level 3

So, onMouseDown do you start Enter frame event and per each frame save the point to array and when onMouseUp the array gets sent?

Problem with my app is that this supports multi touch.

Thanks,

BaBo,

Former Community Member

Yeah, something along those lines (har, har). You know, the code's available for you to read =). Check out WBMarkerShape.

nigel

Level 3

Just a customer feedback. Please do NOT take this personally.

I think one of the issue with AFCS is that same code is way to complicated. Took me 5 mins to load all samples and demo to my boss and he loved it but, it's taking me forever to customize or create my own.  Well, the solution I had was, forget all this complicated stuffs in those sample pods.  Just go simple, one shared object that implements ISessionSubscriber and just use the "nodeName" to send objects and keep everything simple.

I did of course read your code which is way too complicated. Who is going to extend or customize to work with their app?

Maybe I'm just not that good.

Thanks for your help.

BaBo,

Former Community Member

I do agree with you that the whiteboard is complicated - some of this is just a fact of life (it's a complicated piece of functionality!), and some of it could be improved.

What are you trying to do with the whiteboard? It's possible we could both learn from trying to customize it.

thanks

nigel

Level 3

We have touch tables and touch wall very similar to this:

http://www.webkitchen.be/2009/06/25/video-schematic-shows-multi-touch-wall-runs-on-flash-built-with-...

I'm just building examples like you are but, to run on touch table and main goal is trying to use "TouchEvent" because there is NO mouse events.

I've NOT decided what I want to build but, I'm just trying to build all simple pods to demo to clients and show that what we can do.

I'm actually thinking about building Texas Holdem Poker game app to run on a touch table.

And I'm not sure developer should try to custom it.  I think it should be simple and give them ability to extend from the whiteboard.

Just a thought.

BaBo,