Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

using blob or clob from db as document

Former Community Member

I'm changing a working process to fetch an XDP document from a database rather than fetch from resources:// on the Adobe server. The DB2 database field containing the XDP is a clob data type. We were using blob. The services operations are:

- Foundation/JdbcService/Query Single Row   this fetches the XDP

- Foundation/SetValue/Execute   this converts whatever was fetched into a document variable

- Forms/FormsService/renderPDFForm   this merges the document with XML and produces PDF output

I'm unable to write the database field into a variable due to lack of choices. For instance there is no BLOB or CLOB variable type in the list of available types. When using STRING I get the following error:

Caused by: java.io.NotSerializableException: com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.ub
    at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1081)
    at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:302)
    at com.adobe.idp.dsc.util.CoercionUtil.toString(CoercionUtil.java:498)

When using XML I get the following error:

Caused by: com.adobe.workflow.WorkflowRuntimeException: Invalid location: /process_data/@clob_XDP_string cannot be stored for action instance: -1
    at com.adobe.workflow.pat.service.PATExecutionContextImpl.setProcessDataValue(PATExecutionContextImpl.java:701)

When using OBJECT I get the following error:

Caused by: com.adobe.workflow.WorkflowRuntimeException: Invalid location: /process_data/@clob_XDP_string cannot be stored for action instance: -1
    at com.adobe.workflow.pat.service.PATExecutionContextImpl.setProcessDataValue(PATExecutionContextImpl.java:701)

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Try a 'document' variable.

I created a table in MySQL with a column of type BLOB, inserted an .xdp, and successfully recreated your process. I used a variable of type 'document' called 'blob' in the output data mapping of the Query Single Row service operation. I then used 'blob' as both the input and output in the renderPDFForm service operation.

After invoking the process in Workbench I was able to view the document since 'blob' was defined as an output.

Steve

Former Community Member

Steve,

Going against DB2 doesn't work for me with a document variable type. It gives a coercion error.

I did solve my problem though from the following URL: http://groups.google.com/group/livecycle/browse_thread/thread/6c4b9156b52b71a7

JYates:

You can do this, but you have to  use the Execute Script service -- at this time there isn't a deployable component for it.

Use this sort of script in the Execute Script service to read  the PDF blob from the database and populate a Document variable.

import java.sql.Connection;

import java.sql.PreparedStatement;
import java.sql.Statement;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import javax.sql.DataSource;
import javax.naming.InitialContext;

int processId =  patExecContext.getProcessDataIntValue("/process_data/@id");

InitialContext context = new InitialContext();
Connection connection = ((DataSource)context.lookup("java:/IDP_DS")).getConnection();

String queryQuery = "select bigdocument, bigstring from tb_pt_workwithxlobs where process_instance_id = ?";
PreparedStatement queryStatement = connection.prepareStatement(queryQuery);

try {
   queryStatement.setInt(1, processId);
   ResultSet results = queryStatement.executeQuery();
   results.next();
   java.sql.Blob documentBlob = results.getBlob(1);
   com.adobe.idp.Document document = new com.adobe.idp.Document(documentBlob.getBinaryStream());
   patExecContext.setProcessDataValue("/process_data/@NewBigDocument",document);
   java.sql.Clob stringClob = results.getClob(2);
   patExecContext.setProcessDataValue("/process_data/@NewBigString",stringClob.getSubString(1L,(int)stringClob.length()));
}
catch(Exception ex) {
   ex.printStackTrace();
}
queryStatement.close();
connection.close();

Former Community Member

Interesting. I am curious. What JDBC driver are you using?

Additionally, with MySQL I was able to map the BLOB output to a 'binary' process variable, cast the 'binary' to a 'document', and render the PDF.

Steve

Former Community Member

I have no idea what JDBC driver. It's whatever Adobe decides I guess. It's a DB2 database. The problem I was having was where the querySingleRow operation tried to map a database field to a variable. It would either not coerce and not store, one of he two.