Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Trouble with WebServices and LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2.1.3

Level 1

Hi,

Eventually I want to create a rather complex form that users will use to create a Change Request in our ticketing system through a webservice exposed by the same ticketing solution.  However, right now I'm just attempting to create a very simple form as proof of concept.  It's connected to a webservice that accepts two inputs a string and a datetime and returns 4 or 5 values that aren't necessary to display on the form but would be nice.

I've made the Data connection using the wizard and input the correct WSDL location and ES2 does see the webservice and pulls in the fields, including the execute button, that corresponds to the webservice.  However, once I populate the fields and attempt to execute the call with the pre-packaged button, nothing happens. No errors and the call is never sent to the server.  I've independantly verified that the webservice is reachable via the computer that I'm testing with and also that's it's accessible via others on the network.  What appears to happen is that the call to the webservice is never sent from the PDF.  If I change the execution option from Client to Server then I get an error message as such "Couldn't post data to''.  Which makes sense, I think, since I don't have a LiveCycle Server.

Can anyone help?  What am I doing wrong?  I'd attach the file, but I don't seem to have the option.

Thanks,

CJ

11 Replies

Former Community Member

Are you testing in Acrobat or Reader. My guess is Reader.....Reader does not support Web Service calls on its own. You can Reader Extend the form to allow Reader to do the Web Service call. To be able to do that you will need LiveCycle Reader Extensions server to do the extending for you.

For testing I suggest that you download the trial version of Acrobat (it does not have this restriction) and see if it satisfies your needs. Then you can decide if it is more economical to buy Reader Extensions server or buy copies of Acrobat for your users.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

I'm actually testing in Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, but Adobe Reader was installed on the machine before I installed Acrobat.  Would that cause any issues?

CJ

Former Community Member

Are you doing this from preview? If so then my guess is that Reader is being used. You can save the file to the desktop, open Acrobat (make sure that it is Acrobat - if Reader was opened before then Reader will come up) then open the form that way you will be sure....there is a script command we can run to know for certain which one is being used....but that technique will work also.

Paul

Level 1

I've actually been doing it exactly as you specified (Open Acrobat Pro, then open the form) and getting the same result (nothing happens).  Also, I have the option in Acrobat Pro to "extend the features in Adobe Reader".  Will that help or have any effect?

CJ

Former Community Member

None at all .....have you dragged the button to execute the web service onto your form? Can you open the Javascript console and see if there are any errors (Ctrl-J). Add a button to the form and put this code on the click event of the button:

app.alert(app.viewerType)

This wil tell his which version of the viewer you are using to open the form.

Paul

Level 1

I didn't see anything in the Javascript console aside from this:

Acrobat EScript Built-in Functions Version 9.0
Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Functions Version 9.0
Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Wizard Functions Version 9.0
Acrobat SOAP 9.0

I can't seem to create a button that will allow me to attach a click event to it.  I looked it up and followed the steps in the help just to ensure I wasn't missing anything, but the option simply isn't there.  Could there be a problem with my install?

Former Community Member

Can you send me the form so I can have a look?

Send it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com

Paul

Level 1

I've sent it to that address

Regards,

CJ

Level 1

Thanks for taking a look at the form Paul, I still have the same problem though.  I ran the button you added and it came back with Exchange Pro, yet when I execute the WS button nothing happens.  I've tried it with a fresh install of Acrobat 9 Pro, so fresh it prompted me to accept the EULA when I opened the form you sent back.  Any more ideas?

Former Community Member

So we know that it is indeed Acrobat that is being used. Is this a secure web service by chance? I have not seen this behaviour before you have done everything right as far as I can tell. Can you try it on a different machine (trying to see if it is the form or something in your environment).

Paul

Level 1

The webservice doesn't require authentication and I've tested it using SOAPUI on the same machine as well as through the test that's provided using the HTTP Post protocal by the webservice itself and they both worked fine.  I haven't tested it using Acrobat Pro on a different machine but I will and will report back.  I'm at a loss.