Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Text fields and numeric fields automatically ubiquitous updated

Level 2

Hello all,

I have been learning and starting to design forms in LC Designer since last week. Due to an assignment, I need to design a 2- page form which is mainly about 3 different products apart from desription and instruction..; let's say A, B and C. What I have not figured out are:

• Suppose I have an Drop-down list, I choose A, and then the text in the desription, instruction, price will be changed accordingly. The same to B and C. (Put it in another way, how can we make a connection between dropdown list and text field or any other list/ field?

I found an interesting-but-confusing article at http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/2007/js_list_combo_livecycle

• And if there is a numeric field, I hope when I type a number in it, it can be used for calculating and the result can be seen in the invoice text.

It comes to know that it requires a great deal of JavaScript code but I have no basic understanding of JavaScript. I start learning it now but donot know exactly where to start (some tutorial ebooks I found are really thick and heavy). Seem likes it's not possible to learn it within few days and this is a big assignment to me since then.  It would be great if someone can guide me how make sense of solving those problems.
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

For the same form you could set the fields that you want to have the same data to the same name and then set its binding property to global.

You can export the data from a form using menu items in Acrobat/Reader then using that same menu you can import them into your new form. Note that the two forms will have to have the same structure and naming convention for the data to bind correctly. You may want to have a master schema to define the data for all forms then you could bind to the appropriate schema items.

Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Regarding the DropDown ...once your user selects an option you will need script to set the rest of the fields the way you want. Something like this:

if (DropDown.rawValue == "A"){

fiedl1.rawValue = "A Name";

field2.rawValue = "A Address";

etc ....

}

if (DropDown.rawValue == "B"){

field1.rawValue = "B Name";

field2.rawValue = "B Address";

etc ....

}

etc ...

The Numeric fields can be used in calculations without issue.

Regarding the last issue using th emultiple forms ....that is a very complex set of code that is needed to control what is going on. If you are not experienced with Javascript or object models then I believe you will find this very difficult.

I woudl suggest you start with the Dynamic Purchase Order sample that ships in the box .....it has behaviour like you describe you want. It uses FormCalc for its scripting instead of Javascript but the concepts are there to be copied. That sample can be found in your Designer install directory under:

EN\Samples\Forms\Purchase Order\Dynamic Interactive\Forms

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 2

I quite did not undertand at first, but your post is clear to me.

I think I need to embark myself on studying JavaScript a bit more. Still want to design the multiple forms

Great thanks, Paul.

Level 2

Can I ask 1 more question on the similar topic?

Not a dropdown list but In terms of a text field (users fill the field randomly), is there ways it can be populated with other text fields? not only on the same page but also

• on different page of the same form
  • or a different form (in order not to refill)

Former Community Member

From the same form is not an issue (that is easy). From a different form is more difficult and requires that the data is extracted from the form as XML and imported into the new document.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 2

Do you know scripts or ways to make the text fields be filled simultaneously and identical?

And in terms of having same data for different forms,you said about extraction and import xml file.

can you give me an idea of how it works, please?

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

For the same form you could set the fields that you want to have the same data to the same name and then set its binding property to global.

You can export the data from a form using menu items in Acrobat/Reader then using that same menu you can import them into your new form. Note that the two forms will have to have the same structure and naming convention for the data to bind correctly. You may want to have a master schema to define the data for all forms then you could bind to the appropriate schema items.

Paul

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----