Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Subform tables not moving down

Level 2

I have 2 tables in a form, both wrapped in a subform and the first table has expandable text fields in it, however the 2nd table will not move down when text is flowed.  Everything is set to flowed and expand to fit, etc.  Any suggestions?  I have them set to page break if necessary.

5 Replies

Level 4

Have you set the page to flowed as well? Both the subform you want to expand and the page must be set to flowed. Caution: when a page is changed from "positioned" to "flowed" other static objects on the page may go haywire on you. Use the Flow Direction from the Object/Subform tab to minimize movement.

Level 2

Yes, and boy did that mess up the pages - now text is all over the place and everything is stuck to the left margin!  If I start a brand new form and have the pages set to flowed, how do I get it to let me add check boxes or radial buttons that are not on the left margin?  If I put them in a table that seems to sort of work, but then I have a table that will not flow to the following page - it flows within the original page, but won't go to a 2nd page  - what do I need to do?  Is there any book out there that would be helpful?

Thanks!!!

Level 4

You can set flow direction as western text, top to bottom, right to left.....some playing around with those settings may reduce the chaos.

One thing I like to do (when possible) is stretch text fields from left to right margin and/or use rectangles in more forms as space fillers (remove color and board). This action will reduce the number of places LC will find to throw objects where they don't belong. Another trick that helps is wrap previous items in subforms (even if they don't need to be in a subform) and set those subforms to positioned.

And as always, the undo button is your best friend...I typically look to see where things run amok, hit the undo button, then wrap an object, put in a filler, then test the page flowed setting again. In other words, some trial and error is involved.

Good luck.

Level 2

Thanks for the assistance.  I have everything working except for 1 item.  I somehow got a blank page which has nothing on it (no content field or anything) and it is showing under Master Pages - Page 1, however it is in space for page #3 and I cannot move it or delete it.  When I try to delete the page it gives me an error "The currently active body page does not contain any subform. The "Delete Page" command can only be used to delete a body page that contains a single subform.  Command canceled?   Any idea how to remove this page?

Level 4

Without looking at the form, this may be hard to diagnose. I'd suggest you look at the hierarchy tab, and make sure objects are appropriately placed and that only items you want on the master page (if any) are listed there. You cannot delete master page.

The second thing I would look at would be Object tab, Pagination sub-tab, and check the settings for "place," "keep with," "after," and "if dataset must be paginated." I'd suggest reading the help pages on the Adobe site for these settings - they are admittedly confusing. Sometimes an errant setting here will force nothing to a blank page.

Short of that, I would suggest you post your form and start a new thread as this is a different issue from the original post.