Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Solaris x86 platform support

Level 2

Hello!

Actually, as I understand only RedHat and SUSE are supported on x86 from Unix world. Are there any plans to suport Solaris on x86 platform?  A lot of companies have Oracle/Solaris infrastructure, but it is not reasonable to invest into SPARC platform for LiveCycle apps.

Regards,

Kirill

7 Replies

Level 7

Solaris on SPARC is already supported.  It is Solaris on x86 that is not.

Level 2

Hello!

Thanx for answer. That's what I mean! Imagine you have a unified Solaris platform architecture and you want to implement LiveCycle solution. There is no sense to invest into SPARC platform for this application, but LiveCycle under Solaris  x86 is not supported. I think that price /performance for LiveCycle apps under Solaris x86 would be much better than on SPARC especially for midrange (under 20 000 empl) companies.

Is it so complicated to recompile binaries?

Regards,

Kirill

P.S. Same for AIX

Level 7

I believe it was looked at - our conclusion was that the market opportunity was not significant enough.

Level 2

Hello!

Again thank you for supporting this discussion. I just would like to give some ideas for your marketing team :). I am working for Retail (20 000+ empl in Russia) company and we are using LiveCycle 7.0 (Forms and Readers Extentions modules) since 2005. We are really happy with solution but we need to upgrade it now for two reasons:

- performance, we need 64 bit architecture

- additional modules, we are evaluting our needs for Process management.

Imagine that we need to decide for a platform (part of project cost)

AIX + IBM 520 4 cores (80 PVU per core) - over 22K

Solaris + SUN SPARC T2Plus 12 cores (50 PVU per core) -  22K

Solaris + SUN Intel Xeon 5570 8 cores (70 PVU per core) < 10K

Regards,

Kirill

Level 1

Hello Kirill,

thanks for your question and information. I am the Product Manager that manages LiveCycles platform support.

We have considered Solaris on x86 in the past and as Jayan says it was considered to be below the threshold of making business sense. I agree that Intel is a pretty good price point for many types of deployments, but it depends on the features a customer requires from their deployment.

The real cost in platform support is the certification and the length of time support needs to be maintained. Development costs are often not major assuming we get the thirdparty technology that we use to support the platform.

For Solaris support we only support Sparc hardware and in addition to that we recommend *against* using T series (CMT) architectures. LiveCycle usage patterns are not normally massively multi threaded enough to benefit from that architecture and the relative slowness of individual threads on CMT processors typically does not meet our customers' expectations for a LiveCycle deployment. We have customers that are looking to migrate LiveCycle deployments from V440 type systems and the T Series was the only option at the same price point for many years, but there are now M3000 systems at a similar price point to the v440s that are designed for software like LiveCycle. Adobe does recommend the use of Ultra Sparc64 VII based systems which are in the various M series classes.

If customers do need to use Sun x86 hardware they can use Windows or Linux. So it is really the Solaris OS that is the obstacle and we will not support that for the foreseeable future.

I do apologize for this decision, we do understand that it is not ideal for some customers, but after evaluation of the option we cannot support it as part of our LiveCycle business.

Kind Regards Chris de Groot.