Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

Social Security Number Field Qs.

Level 1

I generally work more on the graphics/layout end of Adobe products, primarily with Photoshop and InDesign... But my boss decided I need to redo all our old forms by redesigning them in Adobe LiveCycle 7.1.  I have a field where the end user will be required to input a Social Security Number.  Our end users are... not tech savvy, to say the least, and because the old forms already have the dashes that go between the numbers (999-99-9999) before the end user clicks into the field, they have to remain like that on the new forms I am creating. 

In the "Value" tab, in the "Object" pallete, I am able to enter a Default Value but when I preview the form and attempt to enter data, the default text (blank spaces and dashes) do not disappear.  Is there a way to make this work, without scripting?  I know nothing about scripting so I don't know the first place to start to even attempt to write one.  If scripting is the only way, does anyone have a script you can post to me, or a URL I can go to, to read up on HOW to do it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

~Nicholaii

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

not pretty - but it works.  Text overlays the dashes when auto formatted

added the reset

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 6

Can you post a sample?   I've attached a sample with SSN formatting correctly but I'm not sure this answers your question.

Level 1

I'm sorry I've taken so long to reply!

In LiveCycle Designer 7, in the Library, under the Custom tab, there is a SSN element that is pre-formatted.  The problem is, the people I am designing the form for, want the dashes to be in the box before the end user selects the box to type the SSN in.  Once the box is selected, the dashes should remain, and the end user will type in the SSN and the cursor will simply skip over the dashes to continue filling the field.

I'm attaching what I have... I'm starting to think they just won't get what they're asking for.

Correct answer by
Level 6

not pretty - but it works.  Text overlays the dashes when auto formatted

added the reset