Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Security and file attachments

Level 10

I've got a form with some scripted buttons for attaching files.

When I set security settings on the form my buttons stop working and I get the following error:

NotAllowedError: Security settings prevent access to this property or method.

The security settings I'm trying to use are:

Restrict Editing:

Printing Allowed - high resolution,

Changes Allowed - Filling in form fields and signing...

Enable text access for screen reader...

I've tried setting security in Designer and in Acrobat but not having any luck. Is this able to be done?

The file will also be run through Reader Extensions - I've tried this as well with setting  "Embedded file attachments" turned on but no luck.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Jono,

Slightly related; users of one form regularly attached files. However this form also had six signature fields. The form was not reader enabled, as the users had Acrobat. There was no problem with attaching files until one of the signature fields were signed. The signature fields didn't lock all fields on a page, and even when I turned off all locking, once the signature was applied the "Add" button on the attachment panel was greyed out / unavailable.

Now even though Acrobat keeps a copy of the form when signed, Acrobat apparently still considers attaching a file to be too much of a change and prevents it.

I suspect that this is the same with the security. Have you tried "Any, except extracting pages" // least level of security?

Good luck,

Niall

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Jono,

Slightly related; users of one form regularly attached files. However this form also had six signature fields. The form was not reader enabled, as the users had Acrobat. There was no problem with attaching files until one of the signature fields were signed. The signature fields didn't lock all fields on a page, and even when I turned off all locking, once the signature was applied the "Add" button on the attachment panel was greyed out / unavailable.

Now even though Acrobat keeps a copy of the form when signed, Acrobat apparently still considers attaching a file to be too much of a change and prevents it.

I suspect that this is the same with the security. Have you tried "Any, except extracting pages" // least level of security?

Good luck,

Niall

Level 10

Ah, that seemed to do the trick - I thought at that security level it would leave too much open but it seems to be ok, you need to punch in a password to pull it into Designer which is the most important bit and can't do text changes in Acrobat.

Hey if you have a chance, take a look through the form and let me know what you think. It still needs some polish, but time has run out. It's my most ambitious creation to date.

Level 10

Hi Jono,

It looks really good! I particularly like the last click to agree that highlights null mandatory fields - neat - JB influence. I like the colour scheme, but if it was me I would colour the buttons separately. A green tinge for positive action "attach file", "add milestone" and a red tingle for negative action "delete milestone".

Also just a few points (I hope you don't mind). I would underline Program Guide and have an invisible button over it with the full url for the guide. That way people don't land on the home page an have to find it. The url is probably too long to have written out on the form. I think some tooltips would help guide the user through the form (particurarly some of the technical stuff) and this would also get rid of the object names. It is personal preference but Caroline Jarrett's book "Forms That Work" would shy away from all caps.

Maybe the script could count the number of attachments and if the min. is not present, also throw up an alert.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth; good luck with it!!

Niall

Level 10

Yeah, having fun with John's script objects.

I've started colouring the +/- buttons on other forms, I think it works quite well as well. Definitely want to get into using more colour for feedback. We're trying to get into using more colour in general with some of the old print forms we're converting. I kind of like using coloured backgrounds with white fields.

Good idea on the url - I'd meant to do something with that but nobody seemed to notice. They opted for supplying a guide vs tooltips and/or popup help...I'd meant to run through it and nuke the field name tooltips but didn't get time - ah well.

We just got that book but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Good idea - I was trying to figure out the best way to check for the file attachments, but they decided there was the possibility that people might supply some information under separate cover - same reason we didn't make the expanding tables scripted mandatory, in case they left an extra row in or something.

I wish I had another week to work on it but it's live now!