Expand my Community achievements bar.

Requiring a form to be filled out before saving

Level 2

I have a 5-page form that I have posted on our website.  I want the users to fill out the form completely before being able to submit it to me.  There is a submit button at the end with javascript code that runs through all the fields to verify the form is filled out.  It won't let them submit without filling out all required fields.  The first way the users got around it was printing out the form and faxing it to me.  I then put a print button on the form with the same javascript that doesn't allow them to print without filling out all the required fields.  Now they are opening the form, clicking file > save as... and saving the form to their computer.  Then they fill out a few of the fields, and attach the file to email.  They don't actually use the submit button, because they don't fill out all the required fields and it won't let them submit, so they attach the file and email it to me.  Is there a way I can make this un-savable until after they fill in all the required fields?  The big problem is that the file is going out through the internet, and they are using the File > save as... from their browser.  I'm wondering if there is a way for me to require they fill it out and not save it until they have done so.

Thanks in advance!

Rose.

1 Reply

Former Community Member

You may want to try doing something on teh preSave event .....but you will not be able to cancel the Save. The Save from teh browser is actually a Reader/Acrobat save so you may want to put a message on there indicating that there are validation errors in the form. The reason you will not be abe to and shoudl not cancel the save is that the user may be saving his/her work and want to come back to it later.

Hope that helps

Paul