Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

how to make user-buildable part numbers on PDF

Level 1

Hi everyone,

Goal: to make a PDF sheet that shows a base part number, with optional and required fields for the user to click on. As these items are clicked on, the part number is being built in a separate box. Should I be doing this in LiveCycle? I believe this is being a basic form in Acrobat Pro.

The document is started in InDesign, but I don't see a way to do it in InDesign.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies

Level 10

You may write code in the Exit event of the fields on the form to generate the part number in the different box.

for example:

TextField1 Exit Event: JavaScript language

PartNumberField.rawValue = PartNumberField.rawValue + TextField1.rawValue;

TextField2 Exit Event: JavaScript language

PartNumberField.rawValue = PartNumberField.rawValue + TextField2.rawValue;

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

Srini, thanks for the reply. My main question was "what application is needed?" Live

Cycle or Acrobat Pro?

You mentioned writing code in the Exit Event of the fields, but I only see that menu in Acrobat Pro, not in LiveCycle. In LiveCycle I am only able to edit from the xml source. I know so little about this and am trying to find the correct path to go.

Any/all information and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Level 10

Inside LiveCycle you have a script editor to write scripts for the controls.

If you check the below image it shows the Script editor view. You can click on Windows -> menu and choose Script Editor to display the script editor.

Then you can change the Event name from the dropdown on the left hand corner on top.

Hope this helps..

Thanks

Srini

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}