Expand my Community achievements bar.

'Repeat Row for Each Data Item' Feature Guidance request

Level 1

Hello all. I have created a form (LiveCycle ES2) that successfully connects to an ODBC connection, populated a dropdown, and once a selection is made in that dropdown, data is pulled to fill fields on the form that pertain to that record.

The last obstacle that I can't seem to cross is to have a table row repeat for each data item. My subforms are set to flow, and I have the 'repeat row for each data item' feature enabled. I strongly suspect that the database that I was given is not designed in a way to allow this feature to function. I am not a 'database person', and am mostly self taught in LiveCycle as well.

Here's basically how my data is structured (actual data is confidential financial records):

apples | fuji

apples | macintosh

apples | granny smith

pears | bartlett

pears | anjou

pears | bosc

My goal is to have, on a form, something like this (from the previously stated database structure):

apples | fuji

apples | macintosh

apples | granny smith

and on another form:

pears | bartlett

pears | anjou

pears | bosc

I need to somehow have the apples recognized as a single grouping, and pears as another, and then have the 'repeat row for each data item' recognize it, allowing me to have 13 Apple varieties on the one form, and the 7 pear varieties listed on another (for example).

I am assuming that I will first need a way for the database (query?) to count the 3 apple entries as a single record with the 3 varieties as multiple values for that record - and I don't know how this is accomplished, or even if my thinking is right on this requirement.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can see a database that is structured in a way to facilitate the 'repeat row for each data item' in LiveCycle?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

1 Reply

Level 2

Have a look at conditional breaks.  You can specify that you want a break when the value of a field is not the same as the previous value for the same field.