Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reading XML files in Designer

Level 1

Hey guys,

I have multiple drop down lists on my form and each one has to be populated with data depending on what was chosen from the pervious drop down list.

i.e. when they select "kensington campus" in the campus ddl "roundhouse,squarehouse,..." is then populated into the buidling ddl

I want to implement this by reading an XML file and searching through the nodes to find the selected campus and then pulling out all the buildings associate with that node to populate the next ddl. My problem is that Designer does not make this an easy task, all the extensions or functions that enable you to read files in javascript are not included in designer.

Now, i could just hard code the different drop down lists but i need the capability to change what gets populated in each list without recreating a form. Ergo the best solution is to read the data in from a file so that all i need to do is edit an xml form.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi,

It depends on how you are deploying the form - eg are you reader enabling the form using Acrobat or with LC Reader Extensions ES?

If your users have Reader, then they will not be able to import XML data into the form. Summary PDF is here: https://acrobat.com/#d=3lGJZAZuOmk8h86HCWyJKg

You will see that if your users have the free Reader, then they will not be able to import XML into the form to populate the dropdowns. In addition data connections will not work either.

So if your forms are not reader enabled or have been reader enabled through Acrobat, then you will have to hard code the data into the form.

Good luck,

Niall