Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Pros/Cons of embedding schema to form

Level 3

What are the pros and cons of embedding a schema to a form? Are there rules for when one should embed and when not?  I plan on having all of our form schemas stored in a schema directory on the livecycle server.

Thanks

Elaine

4 Replies

Level 3

(Hey, do I get points for answering my own question? ;-)

I guess the only way to see the data model in the xpath builder in workbench is to have the schema embedded, according to the workbench doco:

From this link: http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/8.2/wb_help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Workbench_...

"If you have the XML schema that describes the data that the form collects, you can embed the schema in the form to make the data structure appear in XPath Builder. This way is recommended for exposing the layout of data in a form. LiveCycle ES can extract data that is embedded in Adobe XML forms, Adobe PDF forms, and Acrobat forms for display in XPath Builder.

To make the fields in XML forms appear, you need to open the form by using Designer ES, connect to a schema data source and select the option for embedding the schema in the form."

--elaine

Former Community Member

Hi,

How ever you can assign the schema to your xfaForm variable via workbench itself. So rather than loading the schema from the form it will be an upload via file system browsing.

Based on the embedded schema the LC server was generating blank xml in form and render process on LC server was also passed a blank xml. Things have changed slightly in recent version(at least that's my observation).

regards,

Parth

Level 4

Hi Parth,

Yes, I discovered this. Interesting tid bit: I embedded the schema to

the form, moved it to workbench, and when I created the xfaForm variable,

and then clicked on the "schema settings" button in the xfaForm variable

dialog, another dialog displayed that the schema was invalid (it wasn't,

and this was verified in XMLSpy). I had to browse for the schema (in

workbench), re-select it, and then it was brought in properly. Not sure

why it didn't recognize the embedded schema. I ran through this scenario

twice with the same results.

Thanks,

Elaine

Former Community Member

I believe that was a bug in that area that has since been fixed in a later patch.

Paul