Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Proper syntax for setTimeOut() inside a loop

Level 7

Problem:

I want to loop through something, say, 5 times. Each iteration requires the counter to be used. I can use a for loop to accomplish this task. Now, suppose I want to do the same thing, but I need to pause for a second between each attempt--or start each attempt on one second intervals.

What I've tried:

I have tried the following code in the click event for a button:

var s = tfExample.rawValue;

for (var i = 0; i<s.length; i++){

app.setTimeOut("xfa.form.form1.variables.scripts.check(i)",1000);

}

And this is the code listed in scripts:

function check(i){

p1.tfCounter.rawValue = i;

p1.tfBefore.rawValue = s.substr(0,i);

p1.tfCurrent.rawValue = s.substr(i,1);

p1.tfAfter.rawValue = s.substr(i+1);

}

When I use this code, and preview in LC, LC just kind of stutters and does nothing; reader does nothing at all; and Acrobat throws an error:

ReferenceError: i is not defined

1:Doc:Exec

I presume that the "1" means line 1 from the source. That line is tfCounter.rawValue = i;. So, it looks to me like it is defined as it is declared in the function definition as a passed variable. I can't find any other mention of functions that shows using check(var i) or something to that effect in LC documentation. Any ideas?

I should probably also mention that I have tried putting that code in the same event with the button, and it doesn't work there, either. It's a different error message.

Message was edited by: jasotastic81: added other thing I've done and corrected a typo.

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi,

The statement passed into the setTimeOut function is executed in the context of the Doc object, which doesn't have an i property so that is why you get the error.

Try;

app.setTimeOut("xfa.form.form1.variables.scripts.check("+i+")",1000);

Which will pass the value of i (from the click event) to the statement to be executed.

I think the "1" in your message refers to the line number of the statement passed to setTimeOut, so the actual "xfa.form.form1.variables.scripts.check(i)" bit.

Regards

Bruce