Expand my Community achievements bar.

Product Advice - What do I need?

Level 3

For some reason I can't post this in the actual Product Advice section, so I'm putting it here!

I'm currently using the LiveCycle Designer software that comes with Adobe Creative Suite 4. So far this has been satisfactory, however...

I'm realising the limitations this version brings so my question is what product/s would be most appropriate in order to do the following within interactive PDFs:

1) the ability to get data from and put data into any type of database;

2) the ability to save partially completed PDFs;

3) the ability to email PDF rather than XML;

4) the ability to submit using Web Services;

5) the ability to encrypt or make the data more secure (this may come as a result of 1) and 4))

I know I can partially extend the forms to fulfil 2) and 3) via Acrobat, but the 500 max limit is not suitable. I cannot do any of the other options listed above using my current version of LiveCycle.

By the way, I've contacted Adobe three times about this and have never heard back, hence coming onto here! Alos, I'm not looking at this for personal use but for commercial use.

Thanks to anyone that can help,

3 Replies

Former Community Member

You have two choices:

1. Use Acrobat not Reader. It has all of the functionality that you ask for

2. You can Reader Extend the forms using LiveCycle Reader Extensions server it will turn on all of that functionality in Reader.

If you are dealing with users outside of your organization then you will have no choice but to use option 2. If the application is for inside it might be more economical to but all users a copy of Acrobat.

You will need to speak to an Adobe rep to get pricing etc .....

Where are you based?

Paul

Level 3

Thanks Paul.

I think option 2 that you've provided would definitely be the preferred way to go, especially as it's likely I'll be producing forms for external customers.

I'm based in the UK. I've emailed Adobe twice and my Company Procurement Team have tried to contact them too with regards pricing but never got a reply. The last action was to speak to a re-seller who quoted £8k for the Reader Extension Server plus £1.5k for 12 months support/maintenance.

Thanks again,

Former Community Member

Well it soounds like you are on the right track.

Paul