Expand my Community achievements bar.

Problem when setting the selected value of a DDL using javascript.

Level 8

I am not exactly sure how this problem happens, but I noticed that in some cases, if the value and entries of a Drop-Down-List are bound to XML Data Source, and then if the selected value is set using javascript, then when you click on the Arrow to change the value or examine the available entries, the selected value is not highlighted in the list of available entries.

This means, the user will have to scroll down to verify of the selected value which is part of the list of valid entries.

This is not good, because the form was developed to collected data from back-end system for Data Cleansing Purposes, and if the selected value is not highlighted when the users clicks on the Arrow of the DDL, then he will have to spend some extra few seconds to scroll down, which is annoying thing.

Appreciate if someone could help me resolve this matter.

Tarek.

6 Replies

Level 8

I just did a quick test, and found out that if the value of the DDL Field is bound to a value in XML Source, the selected item will not be set ...!!! Too bad.

Any one knows how to find a solution to this problem ?

Tarek.

Former Community Member

But the value that is set is displayed in the DDlist box at the top. You are right that if I open the DDlist the item is not highlighted but it is clear by looking at the list (without opening it) what the value is.....no?

paul

Level 8

Thank Paul.

But, the form is relatively large, and it has several DDL Fields, and each may have several tens or up to a couple of hundres of entries. The purpose of the form is to do Data Cleasing of the Staff Profile, and the user must open each DLL list, scroll down to examine each entry, to make sure if the selected field value is correct. Then, the user may decide to click again, and this will mark the form as changed, if it was signed before. All this is unwated effect.

I hope you can understand what I mean.

Tarek.

Former Community Member

I understand what you are saying but I do not think you will be able to accomplish what you want. The highlighted entry is the way to signify to a user that they selected that value .....the value at the top of the list signifies which value was set (so you do not have to open the list). That is simply how the DDlist works. I do not know of a way to do what you want.

Paul

Level 8

I just finished a live connect session with Adobe Support Engineer in UK.

After I explained to him the problem ... guess what ? He was convinced !

He will try to find a solution for me, and he will escalate if confirmed to be a bug, which is a bug in my opinion.

Tarek.