Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Printing Digitally Signed Documents

Level 1

I need to be able to print digitally signed documents and would like to know if there is a way to restrict the ability to print the documents that have invalidated digital signatures.  Essentially, I want to be able to email a document for remote printing and only allow the document to be printed if the digital signature is valid.  It would be of additional value to me if there was a way to place a "voided" watermark across the document if the digital signature was invalid.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Digital Signatures do not provide the ability to control document permissions.  LiveCycle Rights Management ES2 does this.  You could use LiveCycle ES to build a process that based on the staus of the digital signature could affect the policy (applied by Rights Management) to control the ability to print.  Rights Mangement also supports dymanic watermarks.

Note that the policy would need to be applied to the document prior to it bing digitally signed.

Regards

Steve

Level 1

Would the printing policy and dynamic watermark be embedded in the document so that the electronic file could be sent to a third party that only has Acrobat Reader installed on thier machine and these policies would still be in place?  I am looking for a way to send large print jobs out to a reproduction vendor and need to ensure that if the electronic files are tampered with that they cannot be printed and are clearly shown as invalid.

Former Community Member

When a RM policy is applied to a document, a "Base URL" (which points to the RM server is embedded in the document).  Adobe Reader or Acrobat can be used to open a policy protected document assuming a connection  to the URL can be established.

A very powerful feature of RM is the ability to "Revoke" a dcument that has been policy protected.  When a document has been revoked, it can no longer be opened by anyone (and therefore could not be printed).  So, rather than worrying about print permissions and watermarks, you could "Revoke" documents that had an invalid signature.  Documents that have been revoked can also be un-revoked (by an admin with sufficient privileges).

Regards

Steve

Level 1

Thank you.

Is there a tutorial online that would show me how I can do this?

Process Description:

1) Create pdf document from AutoCAD.  I generally am required to create one pdf file per drawing sheet so I may have 100 pdf files that I am working with.

2) Assign an RM policy to each file (Could this be a batch process since I may have 100 files I am working with) that would revoke the file if the digital signature was invalid.

Former Community Member

I am not aware of any tutorial that would be outline what you are trying to achieve, but you could look through http://www.adobe.com/devnet

You may also want to look at http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/

There is alot of technical information, samples, and documentation posted here.  Please remember that the policy would need to be applied to the document BEFORE it was digitally signed.  You will be unable to add a policy to a signed document.

You could use LiveCycle ES2 PDF Generator to automate the conversion of your Autocad files to PDF. ( http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/pdfgenerator/ )

Regards

Steve