Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

Odd and even pages

Former Community Member

Hello all, Need some help on the xdp that I am working on.

This xdp has 1 Page Set- set to Print on Both Sides.

The first master page is the Odd Pages (Front pages).

The second master page is the Even Pages (Back pages).

There isn't much logic on the Even Pages as it is only static information.

The content on the Odd (Front) pages flow and page number grow depending on the XML data I feed into it. I have explicitly set the content to flow through the content are of the Odd (Front) page only. Problem is, when the data breaks, it still puts a record or two on the content area of the Even (Back) page.

Also, I was hoping that whenever there is an Odd (Front) page, I would assume that it would always have an Even (Back) page, but that is not the case. Sometimes the pages end out on the Odd Page.

I would like to share the xdp along with the xml that I am working on to this posting. Is there a way to upload this information. Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

The trouble is that when you have repeating objects they will continue in the container as new instances are added. When the page overflows, Acrobat/Reader is creating a new instance of the page, in which the new instances of the repeating object can be rendered.

I had an example earlier that "jumped" a section, but in reality what it was doing was when the first page was full, it started to use a similar repeating instance on page3. Here it is, but you will need to have a close look at the script, as this was not annotated: https://acrobat.com/#d=0-YvJ8UcVW7Pyc4hhg3RmQ. It is a bit of a rough workaround, based on the height of the subform (see the click event of the add button on page1).

You might also be able to get a conditional page break to work if the height of the rows was always the same.

Hope that helps,

Niall

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

The trouble is that when you have repeating objects they will continue in the container as new instances are added. When the page overflows, Acrobat/Reader is creating a new instance of the page, in which the new instances of the repeating object can be rendered.

I had an example earlier that "jumped" a section, but in reality what it was doing was when the first page was full, it started to use a similar repeating instance on page3. Here it is, but you will need to have a close look at the script, as this was not annotated: https://acrobat.com/#d=0-YvJ8UcVW7Pyc4hhg3RmQ. It is a bit of a rough workaround, based on the height of the subform (see the click event of the add button on page1).

You might also be able to get a conditional page break to work if the height of the rows was always the same.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Thanks Niall, that was good info. I will tweak my form a bit to see if I can get the results I want. Thanks for the example too.

Level 1

Hi!

So this question was answered 7 years ago, but I have the same issue now and just can't get it right.

The link in the answer only leads to a start page for adobe so I'm wondering if it's possible to reach in some other way?

I have two master pages, one for Odd front pages and one for Even back pages. Table data that should only be printed on frontpage(s), so at overflow I want it to continue on page 3 etc. Dynamic data on back page, although no need for overflow so I've put it in the Master page.

At run time, in case I've got two or more front pages, there will only be one back page printed after all front pages are done. The back pages of those previous to the last one are all blank.

To complicate things at bit more, there is also an Appendix that is required sometimes and of course should be printed at the end, with no back page..

Any help is greatly appreciated!

//Ulrika

Level 10

I'm not sure what Niall has done in his sample, and don't have a copy.  He's not been active in the forums for some time but maybe you can find something similar or contact him on his website, http://assuredynamics.com/index.php/code-solutions/