Expand my Community achievements bar.

No "presence" Attribute for Master Pages or Content Areas?

Level 2

Is it true that there isn't a .presence attribute for master pages and content areas?  I have a form with multiple master pages, and based on certain criteria, I'd like to not display the master page.

This master page has 1 content areas.  One is a header area.  The rest of the page is content area 2.  It is blank.  I have a conditional breakpoint that sends line items from a table to content area 2 if I have more than 7 line items.

If I have 7 or fewer line items, I'd like to hide this master page, but LiveCycle doesn't seem to think you should ever hide an entire master page.  If I could hide the top content area, then at least the page would print blank.

I can't wrap content areas in subforms.  If I could do that, then I could hide the subform.

Thanks!!

3 Replies

Level 7

It sounds like maybe you're approaching this the wrong way. Without a master page to serve as a canvas, you have nothing to paint your form on so it makes sense that Designer wouldn't allow you to change the presence. If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, it sounds like you'd be better off to place your content on a page in design view and simply hide or show them there as necessary. Changing the presence to hidden on these fields would leave white space on the form unless you make the form dynamic, but you said you can't wrap the content areas. Could you explain why? Also, even though you can't change the presence on a master page, you should still be able to just turn off the Restrict Page Occurrence check box. Once you turn it off, the master page won't print unless it has content on it.

Level 2

My problem is I have page 1 with fields in the header, then there are line items attached to a database table.  There could be 1 line item or 200.  I can print up to 7 line items on the first page and then a footer must appear on just page 1.

If there are more than 7 line items, I continue to another page.  I have to have a bunch of header fields at the top of this continuation page.  The line items continue under this.  If another continuation page is needed, then the header info appears at the top and then the line items continue.  This goes on until all line items are displayed.

I have to use a conditional breakpoint in this line item table so I can tell it to go to a content area under the header on the continuation page.  I can't have the line items continue at the top of a page because I need that header.

I define the content area under the content area for the header on the continuation page.  I have only been able to define content areas on master pages.

I have more than 1 master page.  Page 1 and the final page are on 1 master page and they must always print.  The line item continuation page is another master page with 2 content areas (header and line item continuation).

If I have 7 or fewer line items, the continuation page is not needed.  I need to be able to hide or display this page dynamically based on the number of line items from the database.

I can show some examples when I get back to work.

Thanks!

Level 7

Okay, so you'll always have a minimum of 2 pages printing. I think it might be better to have 3 master pages, 1 for the first page (min. count 1, max count 1) with the required footer, 1 for the potential spill over pages (min. count unchecked) and 1 for the last page (min. count 1, max count 1). As long as the form is built dynamically the 2nd page should only appear if you have content spilling over onto it.