Expand my Community achievements bar.

Need scripting help, Please.

Level 1

I am not a designer, programmer or very familiar with XML, HTML etc.  I have re-created interactive forms with Life Cycle Designer, however I am lost with scripting.  So I am hoping someone will give me a simple script with step by step instructions to achieve a sum function in a simple table.

I would like to show the sum of user entered $dollar amounts.   The table is designed for 10 fields to be filled in with an 11th field for the total.

Should I format as upon entry, or what...What exactly should I put into each field so they will add and finally sum.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I don't want to know why it works, I just want it to work LOL

Thank you!

7 Replies

Former Community Member

Its going to depend on the hierarchy or your form .....can you take a snap shot of the table area (multiple rows need to be seen) and post the picture here?

Paul

Level 1

Description of ItemEQ#Serial NoEstimated Cost
Grand Total

I was unable to upload the actual docuemnt but this is basically what I want to accomplish.  All fields are user filled and I want the Grand Total field to sum the entries.  Hope this helps.

Former Community Member

Thats not quite what I was looking for .....on the left side of the designer is a hierarchy view that shows the relationship between objects. That is what I was loking for. Or you could send the form to LiveCycle8@gmail.com and I will look at it in there.

Paul

Level 1

I have also sent the form, via the distribution method. I hope that works.

I kind of taught myself Life Cycle Designer but I am in over my head with this stage. I know it should be fairly simple, but I am missing some basic knowledge.

Thank you for you help.

Former Community Member

I have replied via the email ....you have uniquely named each field so you have no choice but to add each field individually (there are no short cuts). The code needs to go on the Calculate event as that event will fire each time one of the fields mentioned in the addition changes.

Paul

Level 1

Thank you so very much!

I shall have to study the "hows", so I can learn the "whys", but for now. I just need a workable form.

I am still teaching this software to myself, so I learning as well as I am taught.

Thank you again, for your help.

Regards,

Jacquie

Level 7

Hi Jacquie,

For future reference, this would be easier if you named all fields in a column the same, e.g. estimatedCost. Then you could use formcalc to total the column using:

sum(estimatedCost[*])

as Srini has pointed out in this forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/661527?tstart=0

I don't mean to butt in here, just pointing out that there are times when it's advantageous NOT to uniquely name each field.