Expand my Community achievements bar.

MS word not found on machine

Level 1

I have Live Cycle Designer ES2 installed on my PC. When I try to import a word document into designer to create a new form the error message, Word (version XP or onward) can not be found on the machine. MS Word 2013 is installed on my machine however its in Program Files (64 bit directory) and ES2 in installed on Program Files (x86) 32 bit folder of the OS. I'm sure some where in path of the applications is the problem, but I'm lost as to how to correct it. To make matters worse I installed Live Cycle Designer ES4 on the same machine because it is suppose to install only on 64 bit machines, but apparently that is not the case because it to installs on the Program Files (x86) the 32 bit directory of Windows 7. Importing a word doc into ES4 produces the same error, can't find MS Word. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx

2 Replies

Level 1

According to Adobe, to correct the Word issue in ES2 3 or 4 one must edit or add to the Windows registry.  Makes sense as to why word is not recognized. Adobe's instructions are;

1. For 32-bit Windows:

• Create the following path in the registry:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\InstallRoot
  • Create a new string value named Path with value C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\

2. For 64-bit Windows

• Create the following path in the registry:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\InstallRoot
  • Create a new string value named Path with value C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\

You should check the installation folder used in the Path value exists and contains WINWORD.EXE.  You will need to restart LiveCycle Designer for the changes to take effect.

Can anyone give me a step by step account as to how to do this, break it down.....

Level 1

I spoke to a technician from Adobe today, Adobe is aware of the issue with ES2, ES3 and ES4 as it relates to MS Word  there is NO fix or answers as to why this happens on some machines and not on others. And as far as I can tell Adobe is in no rush to find a solution for this problem either, its been around for over six months, disappointing but at least it explains the conflicting posts on the message boards.