Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error from LiveCycle Designer ES

Former Community Member

I have a user, running Acrobat Pro V9, on Windows XP Pro SP3.

When he uses LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2, included with Acrobat, he gets the runtime error.

The error occurs when he tries to copy / paste in creating his form.

Have tried numerous suggestions from forums - Air is not installed.  Adobe Reader 9.3 only version installed.

I can duplicate the error by logging in to the machine, and performing the copy / paste in the form, so it isn't a login profile issue.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

8 Replies

Former Community Member

Can you share the form so I can try it here and see if I can spot an issue?

You can send the form to LiveCycle8@gmail.com as well coudl you include a describe on how to reproduce the issue?

Paul

Former Community Member

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

I will forward the form to you.

Yesterday, I spent over an hour with tech support, and was instructed to do the following -

• Install a MS FixIt (don't recall the KB#) still get the error.
  • Install the latest updates, Acrobat Pro now at V9.3.2, still get the error.
  • Perform a repair from the installation CD, still getting the error.

Also, machine has all the latest O/S and Office 2k7 updates; and is running IE 7.  We have not moved to IE 8 as a company, yet.

Level 1

Just to add to the idea this occurrence is not just once: I just started using version 8.2.1.3144.1.47865 and have had two crashes for the same reason, the first time losing 5 hours of work when the file was saved/wiped out and had a name but only 0 kb in it (I discovered the backup file option later). A fatal error also happened just now (this time mentioning a runtime error with C many pluses) with a paste from Word 2003 (clipboard) into a text object. I think I hit Ctrl-S as fast as I could, but maybe too fast? Did not recover. But second time, I was saving after every change out of fear. Is this common to crash like this? I really don't have the time to learn a new program and then spend more time because of the crash. Your experience with technical support was not reassuring, so hopefully Paul can help us.

Just tried to duplicate the crash but could not remember each step and could not duplicate it. One thing, the paste had hyperlinks and they were all pasted in OK on this last try. Also, the paste was large and went off the LC page. But this time that was not a problem either.

Oh. CS4, Windows 7 Home Premium, Office 2003.

Thank you much.

Level 1

Hi,

Sadly, third day with LC and third crash while saving. I took a photo of the frozen screen and have sent it to Paul's email.

Good luck on Screen of LiveCycleCrahs.JPGsolving this quickly.

Former Community Member

My problem was that the file itself was corrupted, and causing the Visual C++ error.

Level 1

Paul,

Thanks a lot for replying.
First, let me demonstrate my profound ignorance. I had CS4 sitting on the shelf for a while. Recently, I installed it, and I think the installer said that it would update any CS programs automatically. So I assumed that happened (while I was doing something else). Wrong. I suspect my "internet security" Comodo could have stopped the updates. Next, I used the Repair in the Acrobat menu. No luck. But then I looked at version numbers, realized there were no updates, and turned off Comodo and got the Adobe Updater going (for a long spell). I have now updated and have not crashed in several hours, though I'm not creating a doc as much as proofing and making changes. Yet that's promising. And I really want to use LiveCycle to start this project for our college.
I do seem to have a link to MS Sql Server installed (a 1KB connection that is from the year 2000), but I don't remember why, except it's in a folder where I populated spreadsheets with Windows Word 2003 form data?
Guess I'm maintaining a steady state for now. Fourth day running and happy,
Best and thanks for your time,

George

Level 1

I'd like to report a similar issue.

Acrobat X / LC 9.0.0.2. Win 7.

I'm working on a PDF that is about 60 pages and became approximately 45MB in size when I tried to embed all of the images that I had used. At this point, C++ Runtime Errors started to occur when I would save the document. I successfully unembedded the images and the PDF is now 26MB. As such, I will not be able to email the form if such action is requested.

To ensure minimal loss of data, I try to design objects in a second PDF document and copy the contents to the original PDF.

It seems that I can copy over less items with each successful save. The crash occurs when I save the document after what I presume are too many changes.

This is the last Action Center report I have from the crash. I'd appreciate any help.

Source

Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES

Summary

Stopped working

Date

4/19/2011 2:51 AM

Status

Report sent

Description

Problem signature

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 1886348614

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: FormDesigner.exe

Application Version: 9002.2281.1.0

Application Timestamp: 4caf76bb

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: c7ab0000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Designer 9.0\FormDesigner.exe

Level 2

I have a very similar issue. It happens frequently and usually only when I'm trying to copy-paste something. The error occurs even when I'm copying from another LiveCycle form though. I know that my files aren't corrupted since I made a form myself and it still crashes that way.First I get the runtime error and then I get an "unusual termination" message which kills the program. It seems like this is an error that should be addressed by Adobe.

I can reproduce this error but I think what it is is that when you paste, it's trying to do something that's impossible for it to do (like paste something that's bigger than the page you're pasting it to) but rather than catching this and telling you that, the program locks up.

Help would be appreciated from anyone who has fixed this. Otherwise, save before you paste.

EDIT - Well I've just been messing with it and I found that it breaks whenever I copy-paste two drop-down lists at a time. If I copy-paste just one it works just fine. I'm not sure if this was the problem or not. Although it's also doing this now when I try and preview things which is unfortunate. It defintely has something to do with those lists though because I just deleted them from my document and I stopped having the problem.