Expand my Community achievements bar.

Lock/Unlock text editing via FormCalc

Level 2

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if there is a way to let my users edit the text in my document as needed until they hit a button which then locks the text so it can be sent out to a customer. Note that this is just text that they need to be able to edit, not text fields. There are many different solutions I've found online for this but none have worked for me so far. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

7 Replies

Former Community Member

If you want them to modify/edit the text then it will have to be a text field. Then once they are finished you can lock the textfield down so that it acts like just Text ...but it is still a TextField.

Make sense?

paul

Level 2

Will it still look like a text field? It needs to be editable so that it is customized for each customer, text fields do not make it look very custom-made for them. I could swear I have used pdf forms where I could edit the text in them...

Former Community Member

You can make a TextField look whatever way you want .....I suggest you give it a try and ask questions on this forum if you need additional help.

Paul

Level 2

Okay...that will work but I'm going to have to change the formatting and layout a bit to do so. When I try to directly convert my "text" to "text field" it takes what text I already have in there and makes it the caption of the text field. I need it to be the default value. I tried scripting it and it works...but I can't format it this way. So stupid that you can format caption via the text editor but not the default value!

So, I'm assuming I set it to rich text, but then what? Is there script that I have to use for rich text to change fonts, font size, etc?

I also need a way to put my variables into this default value for the text field as well, but I guess I will just concat them via script, unless anyone has a better idea?

Thanks for the help so far!

Matt

Former Community Member

You can set the default value of a field through the UI. Look at the Object palette/Value tab. If the field is Calculated then the Deafult value option is removed. Make it Protected and you will see the Default value option appear. If you woudl rather keep it as Calculated then you can use the Initialize event to set a default value. You cannot however set Rich Text in the Default. This Rich Text is stored in an xHTML format and must be loaded into the field for it to interpret the xHTML.

Make sense?

paul

Level 2

I'm encountering a similar problem but i'm not sure I understand the explanation.  I've got a form set up which includes text fields, image fields and buttons which "jump" users to other pages on the form.  The form behaves exactly how i want it to... ie is editable and has been populated with content by the client.  I now want to lock the text and image fields but preserve the functionability of the buttons, allowing other users to view, ideally copy and paste content, and navigate around the form without being able to edit it.

I thought i could do this by password protecting it in Acrobat, however this also disables the buttons.  Is there another way to do it?  I see that you refer to locking down the text fields but i don't understand how this is done.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Former Community Member

Can you share your form (send it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com) and I will have a look when I get a chance.

Paul