Expand my Community achievements bar.

Javascript to change fill color based on dropdown input

Level 1

First, let me start by saying that I am a 1,000,000% novice.  I merely type my question in google and spend a ridiculous amount of time looking and praying for scripts that I can cut, paste and modify it see if they work.  Most of the time, I have no idea how it works and I don't really care as long as it works.  So, with that said, here's my issue.  I have an Adobe Acrobat Pro XI form (NOT LiveCycle) that I created.  I have dropdown fields with values of Exceeds (blue), Meets (green), Needs Improvement (yellow) and Does Not Meet (red).  When the user selects the applicable value, I need the field to change to the color.  The script below was working fine UNTIL I got overzealous and thought I could change blue and green to shades that I preferred.  Now, even though I've removed my RGB definitions of those colors, if I select Exceeds or Meets, the fill color is Aqua.  It's as though I've 'broken' the defaults and it's being held in memory.  Here is the script I'm using.  Again, I copied this script somewhere off the web, so please be kind

if (event.value=="Exceeds") event.target.fillColor = color.blue;

else if (event.value=="Meets") event.target.fillColor = color.green;

else if (event.value=="Needs Improvement") event.target.fillColor = color.yellow;

else if (event.value=="Does Not Meet") event.target.fillColor = color.red;

else event.target.fillColor = color.white;

Here is the script I used when I tried to redefine the colors:

color.blue= ["RGB", 0,112,192];

color.green= ["RGB", 0,176,80];

if (event.value=="Exceeds") event.target.fillColor = color.blue;

else if (event.value=="Meets") event.target.fillColor = color.green;

else if (event.value=="Needs Improvement") event.target.fillColor = color.yellow;

How do I get Exceeds and Meets back to blue and green and how can I define what shades of blue and green I want?

Thanks!

2 Replies

Level 1

I managed to return the default blue and green colors.  Now, I just need to know how to define different shades of blue and green, the standard RGB codes don't appear to be working or is my syntax incorrect.  I really need to get the form completed by tomorrow.  I can live with the green shade, but the blue is too dark for the black text to show up well.  Anybody??

Level 1

Well, I guess it's like I tell my daughter..."you're resourceful, you'll figure it out".  I learned that javascript doesn't recognize the standard 0-255 color codes and that you have to divide the numbers...So my new script worked perfectly.  I'm so proud of myself! .  Now on to more challenges!

color.new_blue = ["RGB", 0, 100/255, 200/255];
color.new_green = ["RGB", 0, 176/255, 80/255]
if (event.value=="Exceeds") event.target.fillColor = color.new_blue;

else if (event.value=="Meets") event.target.fillColor = color.new_green;