Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Is it possible to use a source code control such as GIT with Workbench

Level 8

We are so far stuck with Adobe LiveCycle ES4. For the purpose of this post, I am referring to Workbench and Designer.

The source code control that is built-in to Workbench is very primitive, and has no compare/merge capabilities. There is an issue with getting an old version from the history if the file is large. the bottom line, it is very hard for multiple developers to work on a project simultaneously. If you forget to synchronize before you check-out, the changes of the developer who worked before you will be lost. Also, you cannot track changes overtime.

We decided to check other options such as BeyondCompare and GIT. Using BeyondCompare saved us a lot of time to create a shippable patches, but you need to take manual backups before you start working on a project.

Now, we are considering using GIT. The main problem with GIT, is that after you create a branch, and commit, it will make changes to the modified files, this means, before you commit, you need to check-out the files that were modified using Workbench, commit using GIT and check-in using Workbench. And, if you make a mistake, this might confuse Workbench, and the files may not be sent to the server.

I am wondering if anyone faced such problem before, and if there was any attempt to use similar tool such as GIT or SVN?

I think if we need to use GIT, we have to integrate GIT with Workbench so that GIT will inform Workbench which files are final, and send them to the server (check-out/check-in). Also, we are considering to use GIT for initializing the Application Folder directly on the Adobe LiveCycle server where the application parts are hosted, but I am not sure how far this will work.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

1738556_pastedImage_0.png

1738557_pastedImage_2.png

1738558_pastedImage_3.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Finally, we managed to move all our code to SVN. It's not very smooth process, but it is much better than before.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 8

Finally, we managed to move all our code to SVN. It's not very smooth process, but it is much better than before.