Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is it possible to digitally sign forms created in LiveCycle Designer when Adobe Reader is in FIPS mode?

Level 1

Is it possible to digitally sign forms created in LiveCycle Designer when Adobe Reader is in FIPS mode?

So far as I can tell, all documents I create in LiveCycle Designer cannot be signed by users who have FIPS Mode enabled in Adobe Reader DC.  Is there an option that I can change to enable compatibility, or is support not yet available?

Amplifying information:

LiveCycle's support documentation states that "Adobe signatures support the Public Key Cryptography Standard (PKCS) #7, using the RSA MD5, RSA SHA-1 or DSA SHA-1 hash algorithm."

The Acrobat Family Security Feature User Guide documentation states that "Caution: If a signer may be using FIPS mode, do NOT specify MD5 or RIPMD160."

Could it be the case that Adobe Reader DC 8.1 (in FIPS Mode) is trying to sign PDFs with SHA-256, which is not supported?  (So far as I know, SHA-1 is still supported by FIPS 140-2 and I have been able to sign LiveCycle Designer-created PDFs with SHA-1 in earlier versions of Adobe Reader.)

1 Reply

Level 1

To clarify: my question relates to documents which were created in LiveCycle Designer and then processed with LiveCycle Reader Extensions so as to enable users with only Adobe Reader to fill, sign, and save.