Expand my Community achievements bar.

Insert XML Schema document using Designer

Former Community Member

hello
I create a form with designer es2 in which I try to integrate an XML Schema document, I would like some form fields to be filled with data from the XML document, but I'm bound to the form using the connection option, data is not displayed.
can you help me please ?

19 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

This seems pretty standard practice, can you host your form and xml somewhere and I can have a look.

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

Hi,

I'm really new in all that concerns the computing, so I do not know unfortunately how to host a forum or an XML file somewhere.
thanks for the help !!

Level 10

Hi,

Try using Acrobat.com (https://workspaces.acrobat.com/SignIn.html) this will let you upload a file and share (or publish) it.  Then you can post the link back in this thread so we can see what the problem is.

You dont have to use Acrobat.com, lots of other sites offer file sharing maybe google drive suits you more.

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

it is in French, I speak French normally, this is why I may express a little awkwardly.

Level 10

Hi,

I've added a data connection to your form (under File ... New Data Connection) and in the wizard used your sample XML.  This gave me a data view that looked like;

Capture.PNG

From here you can drag and drop the data values (Executable, AdresseIP, etc) onto the fields in your form.

I did do the first couple, but not understanding any French the form doesn't make much sense to me, so they are probably not what you want.

I also set the data file in the File ... Properties ... Preview page.

I hope this is enough to get you started.

Good luck

Bruce

Former Community Member

In fact, when i tried to connect, despite my connection to the data seemed correct even when I drag and drop the data values onto the fields nothing is displayed in the "PDF" tab. So if once you make your connection even if it is not the good element, if in "PDF" data appears so I think it's okay.

I did not really understand how to access the modified file. I'm searching in google drive I can not see where it may be, can you get me a link?

A very big thank you !!

Former Community Member

Hi !

Oh nice, it works very well! But only in Designer, once I save the file, close Designer and I open the PDF, no data appears! Where is the problem?
Oh, is it possible to combine two element of the XML file to a single box of the PDF file, for example, having Assure: name + first name on the PDF, while the XML document, there's Assuré: name either Assure: firstname second!

thanks !

Employee Advisor

When you open the PDF,you can import the data file.

It is possible to combine two elements. You will have to use hidden fields to store the values and then concatenation the hidden field values and display them in the field of your choice

Level 10

Hi,

Assuming the concatenated field is just for display you could also write a script that accesses the Data DOM values directly and concatenate those, something.like this JavaScript in the initialize event.

var prenom = $record.resolveNode("$.Dossier.Assure.Prenom");

var nom = $record.resolveNode("$.Dossier.Assure.Nom");

if (prenom === null || prenom.isNull)

{

this.rawValue = "";    

}

else

{

this.rawValue = prenom.value + " ";  

}

if (nom !== null && !nom.isNull)

{

this.rawValue += nom.value;    

}

This way you do have to work out the expressions for the resolveNode call, but these are the same as those in the binding tab, so shouldn't cause to much trouble.

If your users can update the values then maybe the editable floating fields will do what you want, http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/2010/09/editable-floating-fields-v3.html

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

I use Adobe Reader X so I do not have the option "import a file". but thank you for the idea of hidden fields.
though I'll try with Javascript for combining two fields in the XML file into one in the PDF file.

So, not always an indication of why nothing is displayed in the PDF document after registration?

once again thanks a lot

Former Community Member

Hi,

I tried the javascript code and it works perfectly, it's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
My file continues still display nothing once in PDF format for users. Would it not caused by a licensing issue?

Level 10

Hi,

I beleive to have Reader input and export form data the form needs to be enabled with an Adobe server product.

I am not sure I understand your workflow, seems strange to have your users doing an import/export.

Can you explain more how your form will be used.

Bruce

Former Community Member

Hi,

In fact, I do this for a company. They have a program containing a database and containing information on their client (name, address, phone number, etc.).
Now they have asked me to create a form to investigate their client, but do not want to write on the form the information already in their database. They want when they open the form, they only perform the bulk of the investigation and not (name, first name, etc.).
The problem is that they do not want me to touch their software containing the database, so this software generates an XML document containing customer information (name, etc.) and it is with this document XML I have the right to work. It is from this XML document that I need to take information (name, address, etc.)

thanks for the help !

Level 10

Hi,

I am not sure what your options are.  We have a third-party extend our forms with the LiveCycle server products and I gather this is expensive, but does give Reader the import/export option ... might be cheaper to buy Acrobat licenses.

Not very user friendly but maybe you can have a text field that they cut and paste the xml into?

Bruce

Former Community Member

Hmmm, it's not easy.
I am simply a student and the company will not pay any money on it. Thanks to have helped me anyway,

thank you sincerely.

Former Community Member

Would it have been possible with a connection to a database?
I mean, do a conditional SQL query that when opening the form, we entered the number of the file, and the fields (name, address, ...) are filled.
I did not do that, because at the moment the only uses for connecting to a database I saw were for dropdowns list.
And when I tried the link with a conditional SQL query: ("SELECT Customers.name, Customers.adresse FROM Customers WHERE Customers.number = []) does not work.

thanks !

Level 10

I don't think so, that would need the LiveCycle server products as well.  Niall has a good summary of this on his blog, http://www.assuredynamics.com/index.php/2010/11/using-livecycle-forms-in-acrobat-and-reader/

Bruce