Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

How to reduce a PDF document that contains an Adobe XML form?

Former Community Member

Hi,

I have created some fillable PDF files using Adobe LiveCycle Designer and used Adobe Acrobat Pro XI to save it as Reader Extended PDF > Enable More Tools (includes form fill-in and save)…

The form includes image, text field, check box, radio button, table and other controls, as well as java scripts behind. The files are from 1 to 3 MB in size. I tried Reduced Size PDF and Optimized PDF, but I got a message: “This PDF document contains an Adobe XML form. Such files cannot be optimized.”

My questions are:

1. Is there a way I can reduce the file greatly, say about 100 KB?
  2. And after the size reduced,  does it still keep the original quality in format and function?

Thanks

2 Replies

Level 7

Try to reduce the number of fonts in the document. Fonts that must be embedded will greatly increase the file size. There are certain fonts that come with Acrobat and are never embedded, use those if possible. Images will also increase the file size.

Level 10

Hi,

if you only use default fonts like Arial or Myriad don't embed fonts into the form at all.

If you have to use a specific font because of corporate identity you should check if there are fields in your fom using other fonts like Arial.

Especially floating fields are a reason for big files as they use Designers default font even if you'll never see it in the PDF.

When using images, you should not check the "embed" checkbox, as this will save the images a base64-stream into the xml-source.

If unchecked the images are stored as hex-stream in the PDF-stream which cause a smaller file size.

Also, don't use high res images, 150dpi are far enough. You also don't need 16Bit depth as Designer only supports 8Bit images with RGB colors.