Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to prevent variables from appearing twice in Rights Enabled form?

Former Community Member

I have created a form with item number variables that present related content in hidden RBList Subform Drop Lists. The form functions as it should prior to assigning Enabling Rights in Acrobat 9 for users to be able to fill and save the form. However, once the Rights Enable feature is turned on, all options that are assigned as variables (i.e. item numbers) present twice in the drop down lists. Does anyone have suggestions for how to eliminate this problem so that the item numbers only show once in each drop list?

The file is attached for reference.

Thank you!

9 Replies

Former Community Member

I tested your form and was able to duplicate the behaviour you described.  I also opened the form in Designer and removed the "Acrobat" reader extensions, as you described, the form displayed the items in the drop down list only once.  I then applied the "reader extensions" to the form using Acrobat and the  form displayed the items in the drop down list with duplicates.

I then tested a version of the form where I "Reader Extended" the form using LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES to apply the rights and the form continued to function correctly (form displayed the items in the drop down list only once).

I don't know why Reader Extensions applied with Acrobat causes the problem, but it seems to be the source of the issue.  I would recommend that you log this issue with Adobe Technical support for further investigation.

Regards

Steve

Former Community Member

Steve,

Thanks for testing my form. It's good to know that it reacts similarly for someone else.

Where in LiveCycle ES do you find the "Reader Extensions ES" function?

Also, my experience with Adobe Technical Support has been dismal in the past. Typicallly, an endless cycle of folks with the same pre-drafted script in front of them pretend to help you days after you enter a worthless dialog with them. Then, they to sell you some kind of additional support plan that (given their lousy track record of supporting their own products) results in only more frustration.

Hence, why I resort to the user forums for assistance. Thanks again for yours!

Brian

Former Community Member

Brian

LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES (http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/readerextensions/) is one of the solution components that make up the LiveCycle Enterprise Suite (ES).  It is a server based solution, do you have access to LiveCycle ES (server), or are you limited to Designer ES and Acrobat?

Regards

Steve

Former Community Member

Limited to Designer ES and Acrobat. It was part of the CS4 Creative Suite. Server based solutions are quite expensive, aren't they?

I'll look into it. Thank you!

Brian Boden

Writer/Producer/Director

BodenWorks, Ltd.

4755 N. Hermitage Avenue

Chicago, IL ?60640

773-728-5800 office

773-848-5896 mobile

773-728-5896 fax

bodenworks@aol.com

Level 10

I'm not sure what's up with the duplicate data in the dropdowns, except I think there's something in the js code doing it - I just don't have time to track it down right now.

I think you could make your form and code a fair bit simpler though. With all your tables basically just changing the title and data that goes in the table, I think you could use one table, change the title dynamically and inject the needed data. I'd move all the code from the tables to the Change event of the radio button list and use a switch() statement instead of a string of if...else.

I did make one change to the form to make it easier to work on - you had all your tables stacked on top of each other, must be a pain to work with! Instead, I wrapped them in a subform set to Flowed. Now you can see them all and work on them separately - may help you or not!

Former Community Member

Jono,

Thanks for restructuring the form. It is much easier to work with now. I appreciate your help!

We used an Adobe template to replicate structure and code. After a little research today and earlier feedback received, I'm not certain that the js code is the problem. It seems to work fine until rights are enabled for Reader.

I've been trying to figure it out all day, but no luck yet.

Best,

Brian

Level 10

I tried another look but couldn't figure it out...but my javascript isn't fantastic. I looked at the example form that I think you got the code from and it works fine when Reader extended.

Here's a couple of links to tutorials from WindJack Solutions on the Acrobat User Community site - the first one should help alot, it shows how to do what I was mentioning above about putting all your code in one spot and using one table.

Programming List and Combo Fields in Acrobat and LiveCycle forms - Part 1

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/2007/js_list_combo_livecycle

Programming List and Combo Fields in Acrobat and LiveCycle forms - Part 2

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/2007/10/list_and_combo_in_lc

Hope those will help!

Former Community Member

Thanks for the links, Jono. I'll check them out.

Truth is, I'm not a great js writer either. I had help with this form. The creator has moved on to a full-time position. He took a look at it and said there was nothing wrong with the code. But, something must be triggering the duplication.

If I can make it work with the change event, maybe that is a better solution as you suggest.

I'll let know you if I have success.

Thanks again!

Level 7

I know you posted this a long time ago. I happened to come across it today because I was having the same problem. I had a drop down list that worked great but when reader extended either on the server or in Acrobat 9 caused the items in the list to be duplicated.

The solution I got was to put on the Initialize event for the drop down list the following:

this.clearItems();

When I did this the form worked fine even after reader extending. I have no idea why this works but it does.