Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to enable forms to be able to save form filled data?

Level 3

I've read that Adobe Reader XI now allows users to save data filled in forms.

However, when I create a pdf file using LiveCycle, the from still says that the data cannot be saved.

I'm using Designer ES4 btw.

Thanks.

8 Replies

Level 7

You must reader extend your form in Acrobat or using Livecycle Reader Extensions.

Level 3

I see, so it is not out of the box, what are these extensions, are they like plugins?.

Level 6

To clarify, Reader 11 is able to save a non-enabled AcroForm (created with Acrobat), but not an XFA form created with LiveCycle Designer. Adobe Reader Extensions is software that adds usage rights to PDFs. It can add more than Acrobat is able to.

Level 10

To save a XFA form with Reader you need either Acrobat or LiveCycle Reader Extensions (very, very expensive), to add additional rights to the form.

In Acrobat XI you open your form and then save it with the menu File > Save As Other > Reader Extended PDF.

In earlier version the menu item was located in a different menu, but it's also available.

Level 3

Is there any problem with designing the document entirely in Designer and then opening it and save it in Acrobat Pro to add the rights only?.

I made a simple test and it seems to work, but, I would probably need a xdp file to use as input in ALC.

Level 10

That's indeed the regular workflow for XFA forms if you don't use the Distribute Form action from Designers File menu. ;-)

Level 6

Enabling the document in Acrobat is perfectly fine and sufficient for allowing Reader to save a filled-in form, but it does come with certain restrictions, as mentioned in the Acrobat License Agreement. In particular, if you distribute an enabled document to more than 500 recipients, you are limited to using data from no more than 500 forms that have been returned to you. If distributed to 500 or fewer, there are no restrictions. LC Reader Extensions has no such restrictions and does not require XDP.