Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to build list of (PDF) files in a local directory?

Level 2

Folks,

Part of a project requirement I have requires that a PDF form dynamically build a list of PDF files in a local user directory.   The files vary from system to system, but the idea is for the user to be able to select a PDF file to open from within a master PDF file.

I haven't been able to find a way to do this.   Doing it from javascript or LiveCycle would be ideal (it's the dev tool we're licensed for), but it could conceivably be done from another development platform, as long as the functionality can be embedded in a PDF.  The ideal would be to simply embed a FileManager type control in the PDF.  I might be able to get away with  launching an instance of FileManager (Win) / Finder (Mac) on the local box, though I'd have to be able to determine the OS type, and it would have to work cross-platform.

Any ideas, or examples floating around someone could point me to?    Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

-russ

2 Replies

Former Community Member

I do not think you wil be able to accomplish this. For security reasons access to the file system is restricted. The best I can do for you is bring up a file dialog when you ask to open a PDF.

You may want to pose your question to the Acrobat forum and see if they have any ideas.

Paul

Level 2

Thanks for the quick response Paul.   I'll give the other forums a ping, and update here if I find anything.