Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guides - Validate submitted data

Level 3

Is there a way to revalidate all the submitted data from a guide?

Otherwise the server-side is just trusting the data returned from the client machine, which is against most security standards.  It also means that any business logic in the guide can be bypassed.

Gareth

3 Replies

Level 2

Hi Gary,

interesting question. I haven't seen anything out of the box, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Guides are based on the Data Model and from my understanding there is also a serverside implementation that does the calculation and validation (but maybe only in LCDS?). In theory I see how it could work, but I don't think it's there yet. You could try defining the data type of a serverside variable to one of the types defined in your model (select in your model to deploy these types on the server).

*if* that works at all, I don't see a nice way in which the Guide can handle the exceptions (if a conflict could exist between server and client). It just 'dumps' the XML data to the backend and it doesn't use any ways to handle those errors (like one would using LCDS).

Regards,

Waldo

Level 3

We are working on a LC process that will do the server side validation.

I am less concerned how the exceptions are handled, its really just for security purposes to prevent someone just posting some XML to the guides submission URL and by-passing all the validation logic in the guide.

Gareth

Level 2

Just curious: are you building it 'manually' or a more automated approach?